The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
CourtneyD

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CourtneyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Ammonia issues

Hi there,

We have two juvenile axolotls in a 20 gallon tank they are about 4 inches long. The tank was cycled prior to putting them in with all the levels where they should be. The ammonia level is now at 0.50, nitrite is at 0 and nitrate is at 0 which is obviously not good. What can I do to fix this ? Iíve bought ammo lock today so it doesnít hurt my Axolotl and plan on doing 50% water changes daily to try and fix it. Is that the right thing to do ? Should I get bacteria in a bottle ? Should I be feeding them regularly (bloodworms) or cut back to try and lower the ammonia ? I know since they are young they need to eat so they donít go after each other.

We are new to owning Axolotls so trying to do everything right.

Thanks!

CourtneyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
CourtneyD

Nationality:
Rep: CourtneyD is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Ammonia issues

I should add that we do have a three stage filter and the water is slightly milky.

CourtneyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Viking

Nationality:
Rep: Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ammonia issues

The reason the was is cloudy is a bacteria bloom of the tank trying to cycle. You can do a partial water change. Do you live plants? Hornwort and many floating plant will absorb ammonia directly.

Viking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia axolotl, axolotl