The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

View Poll Results: Tank Size for One Axolotl?

10 Gallons 0 0%
20 Gallons 3 100.00%
30 Gallons 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
Tjebb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Tjebb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Safe to add axolotl?

Hey there!
I have an axolotl who has been living in a tub for a short run, and I have had a 10 gallon cycling. Please note, he is still a juvenile, and if I notice he is growing to big for the tank, I will increase the size. I am humane.

Here are the details:
Tank: L 20" W 10" H 10" (This is the space full of water)
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0.1ppm
PH: 6.5

Are these safe? If not, please let me know how to naturally adjust the measures. Thank you!

Tjebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Safe to add axolotl?

Hi! For a one adult I would suggest 20 gallons. 10 will be fine while it is a juvenile.
That cycle is almost done, let it keep running it's course and the axie tubbed. It will naturally cycle to 0 ammonia and nitrite and levels of nitrate over 5 (you want to aim for 20-40) so you don't add anything, other than bottled bacteria if you want. Once you have this it's axolotl safe!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3
Tjebb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Tjebb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Safe to add axolotl?

Alright, thank you Hayley!

Yes, I am aware I will need to move him to a 20, yet he is still small, so that is going to be an objective!
Thank you for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

Tjebb is offline   Reply With Quote