The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 3rd April 2019   #1
mackenzie1115

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mackenzie1115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Red, Veiny Axie. Please help!

Hi guys,

Spike has been tubbed for 4 days and his redness is not going away. He hasn’t eaten since being tubbed and he is on his last day of his Furan 2 treatment. I’m not sure what else could be wrong. My cycle crashed and i am working on getting his tank up and running again. I have been changing his tubbed water 100% every day with 60* Primed water and he is still not getting better. Any suggestions? He’s had one black tea bath but i didn’t continue them because i wasn’t sure if it was even necessary in his current condition.

I’ve attached some pics, any help is appreciated!!

*No exotic vets available, or else i would have already taken him
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C780F46-C97F-45EE-924C-CE16FCFBECD8.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	55233   Click image for larger version

Name:	3249256C-8F5B-402C-94BF-299B0E78FFAA.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	55234   Click image for larger version

Name:	E7290A92-C834-4CF1-9A4F-239542EFA5C3.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	55235  

mackenzie1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Red, Veiny Axie. Please help!

Okay good that you have him tubbed while you get the tank sorted. Try and keep his tub under 18 degrees. Did he have a bacterial infection for you to use furan 2 or was it to fix the redness?
If he was exposed to ammonia/nitrite when the tank crashed it may have caused the redness/veins. Keeping him in cool clean water (100% daily changes is perfect) will help, though it will take time. Test your water source for ammonia, although the prime will detoxify this it's good to know if there is some.
What food have you been offering?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019   #3
mackenzie1115

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: mackenzie1115 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Red, Veiny Axie. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayleyy View Post
Okay good that you have him tubbed while you get the tank sorted. Try and keep his tub under 18 degrees. Did he have a bacterial infection for you to use furan 2 or was it to fix the redness?
If he was exposed to ammonia/nitrite when the tank crashed it may have caused the redness/veins. Keeping him in cool clean water (100% daily changes is perfect) will help, though it will take time. Test your water source for ammonia, although the prime will detoxify this it's good to know if there is some.
What food have you been offering?
Definitely high nitrates in the tanks currently so i am working to get them down. There has been some flooding in my area and my tap is now showing ammonia around 1.0, when it is usually at zero so i have been using prime to detoxify it. Should i switch to RO water? Iíve been told that could help but i wasnít sure.

I was using the Furan 2 to treat a possible bacterial infection, but i donít know if he had one for sure. I was told to use it to be on the safe side. He did have some swelling in his jaw area. He has turned down raw shrimp and blood worms so far. Usually heís excited for the blood worms but he hasnít even turned up his nose to them.

mackenzie1115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help axie, illness, sick, sick axie