Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Home-made filters?

B

blake

Im going to be working on a new paludarium soon, and i'd like to create a waterfall feature to diffuse the current a little. Is there a type of filter that will pump the outflow through a hose? Or is there some way to make a home made filter using a waterfall pump?

J

jennifer

Many of the submersible filters available are able to be attached to tubing. For example, I know you can do this with the Duetto. When you get any filter or pump, select one with the lowest wattage - watts are correlated to heat production and you probably want to minimize this.

B

blake

ok good... i was thinking about getting a duetto mini submersible... it'll be in a 20 gallon long tank, but it won't ever be filled more than half way so it should be able to handle 3 or 4 newts right? can that filter be hooked up to tubing or do you have another reccomendation? thanks for the wattage tip, too.

J

jennifer

Another option to consider for a 20-long tank would be the Zoomed 501 external filter. It could also be used to make a waterfall, and it heats the tank less than any submersible, in my experience. Yes, I would say that the tank could support 3-4 newts, assuming they are small (C. orientalis?)

B

blake

cannister filters are kind of expensive though. i was hoping to keep the cost around the $20 range. i'm not sure what i'll put in it yet. i'll be in the market. =] i may transfer my two T. Torosa to it for awhile. they're pretty hardy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1