Salamandra atra

Jensino

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I spend the Pentecost-holidays to visit the alps. This was not a field herping trip, just for recreational purpose. Nevertheless I had the luck to discover some alpine salamanders. When they recognised me, they flee very quick and hide under rocks. But I managed to get at least one picture that isn't total shaky. :rolleyes:
The other pictures show the landscape and maybe give you some inspiration for your vivariums.

Attachments

• PICT0010 (2) - Kopie.jpg
    PICT0010 (2) - Kopie.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 320
  • Bergtour 097 - Kopie.jpg
    Bergtour 097 - Kopie.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Bergtour 098 - Kopie.jpg
    Bergtour 098 - Kopie.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 250
  • PICT0028 - Kopie.jpg
    PICT0028 - Kopie.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 241
  • PICT0036 - Kopie.jpg
    PICT0036 - Kopie.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 243
  • PICT0085 - Kopie.jpg
    PICT0085 - Kopie.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 244
  • PICT0073 - Kopie.jpg
    PICT0073 - Kopie.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 240
  • PICT0072 - Kopie.jpg
    PICT0072 - Kopie.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 254
Cool find ! I havn't seen them in the wild yet.
j.

AW: Salamandra atra

Thanks juraj,

for me it was the first time to see them in their natural environment. The weather was misty and it was 11:30 am when I found them. Fortunately, later that day the weather cleared up and became more sunny with great views. But the salamanders definitely prefer the more foggy weather. :D
The altitude was approximately 1,500 m.

Jensino thank you for sharing these pictures. I keep S. a. atra and I find these photos of immense importance in helping me to better understand the needs of my animals. Looks like you had a wonderful holiday in the fresh air with beautiful scenery.

Re: AW: Salamandra atra

The weather was misty and it was 11:30 am when I found them. Fortunately, later that day the weather cleared up and became more sunny with great views. But the salamanders definitely prefer the more foggy weather. :D
The altitude was approximately 1,500 m.

Thanks a lot ! That's what I wanted to ask for.
Best regards
j.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back