Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Cycling a new filter

cornallster

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought a new filter, it's an 'all pond solutions' 1000 EF I am using it to replace an internal filter in my 120 litre tank that currently only has 1 axolotl.

I have heard that I should run both filters for a few weeks to allow the bacteria to move across I have also read that I should put the old filter media in the new filter.

My question is which should I do? Should I put the old media in the new filter or should I just leave both running for a few weeks? I just don't see that doing both is an option because the old filter wouldn't have any media in it. I guess I want to know what people think is best?

And how long do I leave the old media in the new filter/ the old filter running in the tank.

Thanks

wandering

Reaction score
I would just put the old media into the new filter and add new media to fill the space (rinsed in old tank water to get rid of any dust etc). If possible, even mixing the two. Depends on what media you have, of course. And assuming you are not planning to use the old filter in another tank.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1