Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Herping in eastern kansas.

firesalamander

Reaction score
I have been herping in eastern kansas for a while now and I still haven't been able to find any smallmouth salamanders. Any tips on how to find some would be helpful.

mechanic380

Reaction score
I have read several times that they are very difficult to find. As far as environment look in wooded areas around vernal ponds. Flip logs and so on. Depending on how hot it is they are probably burrowed in pretty well. Your best bet may be around their breeding season when they are on the move. I found one in a five year old deteriorating woodpile once. I kept the one I found and I would say they don't make good pets. Other than redoing his enclosure once I have only seen him out and about three times in the middle of the night. Definitely a secretive species. Some natural pics would be great though.

firesalamander

Reaction score
Do you know how I could catch some tiger salamanders? We live in the far east corner of kansas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!