Blister under the throat of female palmate newt!!!

triturusboscai

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Berto
Hi everybody!!!
I get a group of palmate newts yesterday (two females and a male), and I've realised that one of the females has a kind of dark blister under the throat. She's got a good weight, she looks healthy and she eats well. I've treated she with salt solutions and antibiotic solution (Esha 2000).

I don't know what it is, but I don't like it. What do I have to do? Did I treated her correctly? How is the proportion of salt?

I will upload photos as soon as possible,
Thanks, I'm so grateful;)

Today I've realised that there's a white and thin WORM that's moving all time inside my newt, heelp!!!

You can see the moving of the worm in the videos:
YouTube - White worm inside palmate newt (Lissotriton helveticus) Pt I
YouTube - White worm inside palmate newt (Lissotriton helveticus) Pt II

That's the male, that isn't still used to his new habitat:
P1020782.jpg

P1020781.jpg

And that's the female with the problem:
P1020780.jpg

P1020779.jpg

P1020778.jpg

P1020777.jpg

Thanks

Excuse my asking, but this is highly irregular and suspicious. Where did you get those animals? Do you have proof they are captive-bred???

L.helveticus is very rarely bred in captivity (at least legally), and i very much doubt there´s anyone out there selling CB adults. No one who is taking the time and effort to raise these difficult species to adulthood would get rid of them easily.

I´ve heard of a couple of cases of people importing adults (obvious WC) from other countries into Spain, but that does NOT make them legal. I certainly hope this is not the case, and that you can proof the origin of these animals.

The worm, if it is a worm, will be some kind of parasite (something you would expect to find in a WC animal....), and will likely need to be treated with an antihelminthic.

Oh, don't worry, I can prove they are completely legal ;)
I've read a lot, and I think it could be a nemathode. I don't want this to finish like that:
Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Forum: Deworming fatalities
I'll look for an antihelminthic. Are the salt solution baths correct? And the antibiotic solutions?

Thanks!

P.S: I don't know what kind of antihelminthic I should use in this case... and where obtain it. Some experiences?
Should I separate her from the rest of newts? Should I place her in the refrigerator?

Last edited:
Neither the salt baths nor the antibiotics are adequate for an internal parasite.
Take the animal to a vet so that he/she can administer the antihelminthic or remove if necessary. Although the very first thing would be to get a diagnosis, cause god knows what that is.

Okaaay;)
Really thanks. I'm calling the vet right now. Only a curiosity: Does someone know about a surgered small newt ???:eek: I think it have to be dificult for a vet to do that work...

Okaaay;)
Really thanks. I'm calling the vet right now. Only a curiosity: Does someone know about a surgered small newt ???:eek: I think it have to be dificult for a vet to do that work...

Hi,

Just a couple of comments. I would definitely get it assessed by a vet, and any treatments from a vet - as with the case in the link posted, covering antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs might be advisable to minimise the risk of complications.

And yes, anaesthesia and surgery are possible on small newts : )

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Thanks, quite interesting!!!
I've contacted with the vet and this thursday he will have the antihelmintic prepared. He said that the huge problem is the dosage. What should I do until them? Do I have to put it into de fridge?

Thanks another time;)

Thanks to everybody!!!
Today I've visited the vet and he gave me an antihelminthic (only 0.1ml was necessary). He says that it can be a kind of abscess and the movement could be a blood vessel. If the antihelminthic doesn't work, he'll try to make a hole with a needle and try to clean it, but it could be dangerous because of the proximate artery... we'll see.

Goodbye!!

OMG. That is his heart... What are you guys talking about?! It is a problem since youth, probably a malfunction and the hearth is 3 or 4mm more upper than normal. Or it can be a direct consequence of WC animal caught very recently and had this problem caused by some punch he took from being stuck between rocks or something else severe. But i bet its a problem since the animal was born. And if you guys have tough a Little bit, would that be something completely new (from another world?!) I mean, all nematodes and worms that attack newts stay in digestive track, then don't move trough inner organs or between tick skin layers, and would not be strong or thick enought to cause such vibration that could be seen so easily....For god sake. Poor animal, really hope he didn't die from those medicines.
Cheers,

Well, i don´t see how it could be its heart if it´s in the throat??
It´s one thing to have a slight deformity that doesn´t proof lethal even to adulthood (although 3-4 mm for such a small animal is not a slight deformity), but to have the heart in your throat is just not possible.
I didn´t say it was a parasite, i said, take it to the vet and get it diagnosed.
If you have a different point of view i certainly don´t think it´s necessary to deliver it so agressively, Jorge, you think that´s the heart, ok, well, i think it can´t be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back