Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dwarf Siren, how are they as pets?

Zhinigami

Reaction score
Hello!

Right now i have a gang of Fire Belly newts and a gang of Larvae wich they laid some months ago, i am aiming to sell them when they have grown a bit but then it will be very empty.. well i was just checking around when i saw a picture of Dwarf Sirens and i thought they seems like a very unique pet and now im searching for some info about them.. anyone got any tips? had them yourself? well everything is appreciated!

Can you have more then one in a aquaria ? how big do they become? how do they like their enviroment? what do they eat?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I started out with 12 two inch P. a. axanthus about 4 months ago. I was keeping them in a 10 gallon tank but they have outgrown that and are now almost 4 inches. I had to split them up into two 10's. When they are grown I will spit them into trios per 10 gallon tank. They eat black worms, blood worms, white worms and chopped earth worms. Females are large reaching 7-8 inches. Males will be 28% smaller when adulthood is reached. It will take you 2 years from egg to a breeding adult. They love oak leaves on the bottom and a densely planted tank. Java moss is a favorite. They will climb and sit in plants coming to the surface, sticking their entire head out to gulp mouthfuls of air. Keep the tank low a few inches and placing a screen over it is important to prevent escapes. They do not like any current in the water so sponge filter is the best if you use one at all. I do not. They will lay single eggs scattered in the tank in the spring after a winter cooling period. They can tolerate water temps into the mid 80's making them great for people with problems keeping low water temperatures. Winter cooling in he low 60's or high 50's is recommended for breeding success. Some owners here on the site have multiple egg laying events in the spring and then again in early summer. That is all I know about them. Good luck if you decide to keep these great animals.

Zhinigami

Reaction score
thank you this was very enlighting!
so you can have a few of them together without problems then? thats great! and leaves won't be a problem in sweden either! got tons of them!

just wondering how warm/cold is 80 in celsius ? i don't really know the fahrenheit scale.
well thanks for the help :)

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
They are not really aggressive with each other like some of the other siren species. The high temp for them would be anything under 29.8 C. A 56 liter tank would be perfect with some extra room for a trio.

Zhinigami

Reaction score
Sounds great since it rarely becomes over 25 in Sweden! And My room is alot colder! I also got a 55L aquaria with lid which could be perfect for 2 or 3 of them!

MarioR

Reaction score
They are easy to keep but the problem is to get healthy animals in Europe.
I've seem couple animals for sale here in Germany but they were quite expensive in my opinion and without locality data it's hard to tell which species/subspecies they belong to.

Best luck to you!

Zhinigami

Reaction score
Well species and sub species aint a very big problem as long as there aint a great difference in care for them. Well i saw some price tags om the internet for them... Around 50 Euro per animal... Gonna need to save some cash for this i guess..

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1