Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plethodon yonahlossee questions?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have never seen them offered for sale online. They are one of those species you have to go collect yourself.

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Otterwoman,
Thanks for kind advice.
Too bad these are not available.... they are such beautiful species from the Plethodon complex
have you seen Plethodon serratus available? the southern redbacks are also very beautiful.
Thanks again

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Plethodons are not commonly for sale. You could try to make friends with a herper in that area and strike some kind of deal...but building friendships here takes time and effort, to learn to trust a stranger from the internet.

Not that it's impossible. I went on vacation with two women from the forum I'd never met before our vacation.
We had such a good time we did it again.

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Otterwoman,
thanks for advice,
wow sounds like you have great adventures herping.
do we need to apply a proper license to collect herps from the wild in exmaple: North carolina (Plethodon yonahlossee)?
Thanks and cheers!

kamil

Reaction score
They were for sale in Europe recently, even Plethodon longicrus (‚yonahlossee Bat Cave‘) was offered there. I guess in the US they are not exotic enough?

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
They were offered here too. The Bat Cave locality is illegal to collect/possess and that entire batch of salamanders is probably illegal as well as the numbers vastly exceeded NC's laws on amphibian collection.

merman

Reaction score
Sorry to pipe in, but I have done some research on this subject and do not profess to be an expert on anything.

Western NC has a large amount of salamander species, many of which are federally or state protected. Those that are not, out-of-staters may collect up to 24 specimens without permit. Actually collecting them is another issue: state and federal parks in the blue-ridge area are off limits leaving privately held land as your only option for search. (Good luck finding unclaimed land anywhere in this day and age.) I imagine trespassing may be handled with the same casual latitude in favor of the land owners if you understand my meaning. Great advice about striking up a friendship (think NC herp societies and the like). I am not sure about Tennessee, but suspect their laws may not be so generous.

I have been considering a NA sallie project as an alternative to the current decline in the availability of Asian species.

I cannot speak for the presence of federally protected US species available in the European pet trade and am disturbed by it like I am the with the current rise in our market of rare Australian and Malagasy species. Sorry for the rant.

merman

Reaction score
May I also point out, that current NC laws state, of the 24 specimens you plan to transport, only 4 may be of the same species. Just sayin'!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!