Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My spotted salamander has a sore behind his leg! Is it fungus??

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
So I just noticed a really bad sore begind the leg of one of my A. Maculatum, is it fungus? It looks really painful and I have absolutely no idea what’s going on with it! It seems like he just got it and his former tankmates (I separated them a little bit ago) seem to be fine. He’s also always been a little slow and a picky eater, but he’s always acted like that. I seriously don’t know if these are symptoms or just him being his usual self. I also handle him a lot (He’s very friendly for his species, and he’s almost never hiding, he just acts like a tiny Tiger salamander) but I always wash my hands or wear gloves. He doesn’t act like he’s in pain or anything, but it looks really bad. Please could someone reply quickly? I’m really worried!
Here’s the sore:

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
I guess I didn’t hit “upload” on the pictures, here they are, I dont know how it got so bad without me noticing it!

Attachments

• 2A6A0C70-74BA-40B5-8355-C9946C55D311.jpg
    2A6A0C70-74BA-40B5-8355-C9946C55D311.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 866BEF79-7A86-4B06-AEC1-22DB42C153EB.jpg
    866BEF79-7A86-4B06-AEC1-22DB42C153EB.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 178

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
I guess I didn’t hit “upload” on the pictures, here they are, I dont know how it got so bad without me noticing it!
Okay, so, I talked with a few friends in the hobby and I've come to the conclusion that this wound was caused by crickets whenever I left them in there over night. Now, I just need to know how to treat it

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
So I just noticed a really bad sore begind the leg of one of my A. Maculatum, is it fungus? It looks really painful and I have absolutely no idea what’s going on with it! It seems like he just got it and his former tankmates (I separated them a little bit ago) seem to be fine. He’s also always been a little slow and a picky eater, but he’s always acted like that. I seriously don’t know if these are symptoms or just him being his usual self. I also handle him a lot (He’s very friendly for his species, and he’s almost never hiding, he just acts like a tiny Tiger salamander) but I always wash my hands or wear gloves. He doesn’t act like he’s in pain or anything, but it looks really bad. Please could someone reply quickly? I’m really worried!
Here’s the sore:
Okay, its starting to scar over, and he still seems fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1