Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Noisy filter!

sichbo1

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a new Tetratec IN plus internal filter, which is working fine. However, it is a bit noisy. This is not a problem for me as when I put the tank lid on it drowns the noise out. My main concern is if the axolotls are affected. I know that African Clawed frogs have a sensory lateral line that some people believe is affected by noisy filters. I was wondering if someone Knew if this is the same for axies?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Sichbo,

Axolotls too have a lateral line sensory system. They are concentrated around the head and sides of the body (neuromasts). They are thus sensitive to vibrations as well. Sudden vibrations can startle the axie.

Your axie will definitely be affected to a certain degree by the vibrations caused by the filter. However, to what extent i can't definitively say. How does your axie react to the filter? Does it show any signs of stress (forward curled gills, curled tail tip, inappetance).

Cheers

sichbo1

Reaction score
There seem to be no adverse reactions to the noise by the axies. They seem the same as always. However, I have just discovered how to make the noise stop. There is a little plastic tube on the top of the filter which sticks above the water line. Taking this off makes the filter a lot quieter.

Thanks for your reply.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1