Moss Balls

benh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought moss balls were a neat idea, so I bought some via ebay a month or so ago - received them through the post and as a result they were a bit squashed...
Two are now more ball-like, however one has completely unravelled. I've flattened it out and placed it over a porous rock, attaching it with elastic bands. Will it eventually be able to anchor to the rock? Or am I wasting my time?

I'm pretty sure that these moss balls were the real thing - but if I come across some in an aquarium shop I'll probably get some in a better condition.
If any body else has moss balls in their tank, could you tell me if they are meant to grow, and at what rate they do.

These sound like the "moss balls" popularly being sold lately that are wads of Java Moss, or even funnier, Java moss tied over a Styrofoam ball. Good news is Java moss grows just about anywhere in just about any condition.

"True" moss balls are actually a species of Japanese algae which does not unravel, rather it turns to brown mush when it dies.

These sound like the "moss balls" popularly being sold lately that are wads of Java Moss, or even funnier, Java moss tied over a Styrofoam ball. Good news is Java moss grows just about anywhere in just about any condition.

"True" moss balls are actually a species of Japanese algae which does not unravel, rather it turns to brown mush when it dies.

Yeah, I read up all about the Japanese algae stuff - hope I can get my hands on some of that here in the UK :confused: I'll have to keep an eye out.

I guess it probably is just Java Moss - still looks ok though :happy: Hopefully it will anchor to stones if it unravels.

Yeah, I read up all about the Japanese algae stuff - hope I can get my hands on some of that here in the UK :confused: I'll have to keep an eye out.

I guess it probably is just Java Moss - still looks ok though :happy: Hopefully it will anchor to stones if it unravels.

It will, and it will grow to gigantic proportions if given time. I have been propagating java moss from just a few strands that were tangled in another plant...from nearly ten years ago!

Hi. I bought some moss balls from ebay and they are proper marimo moss balls. Do yours look stringy with strands? Or fluffy? If stringy that'll be java moss. If fluffy thats proper marimo moss balls. Apparently you can spread them out and attach them to wood. It looks really cool. A couple of mine get a bit loose i might just pull one apart and see what it'll attach to! Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back