Greetings from Oz

2roxfox

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello caudatians! I am an axolotl owner from western australia and keep a few in an outdoor pond in my backyard. A couple of years ago they surprised me with some eggs and i decided to learn as much as i could about them. From the initial egg surprise I ended up with 18 axolotls (out of hundreds of eggs) and now they have done it again. This time I was more prepared and had put the male and female in a tank, used ice to stimulate the breeding and I am now the proud grandmother of about 500 eggs. I thought i would come online here to share some photos of the egg laying process so I hope people find them interesting. It was fascinating to watch her carefully place each egg upon the leaves of the aquarium plants. How many will i be able to keep alive this time? I hope I have more of a success rate than last time, where a lot of them were eaten by the vicious dragonfly larvae that sneaked in when i wasnt looking. Wish me luck :) jane

Welcome and good luck! I look forward to seeing lots of pix of little axolotlings (do they look just like the parents, only smaller?).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back