Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachyhynobius roundabout

ummi

Reaction score
They are peaceful and acidness is rarely - and they guard the amphora :yin-yang:

ummi

Attachments

• Pachyhynobius.jpg
    Pachyhynobius.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 2,344
  • Pachyhynobius 2.jpg
    Pachyhynobius 2.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 789

Yahilles

Reaction score
One of my dream species! Very interesting to hear that they're not agressive, everytime i read about them, it's always like "they're the most agressive caudate ever, more agressive than Pachytriton and Paramesotriton". Could you please describe the way you keep them?

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
They are surely incredible! I love how tall their tails get at the end. Incredibly nice looking overall caudate :)
Yes Peter Id like also a few descriptions on maintenance on these if that's not much to ask for ;).

p.s. by the way sent you an email from another email account have you received it?
Cheers,

Molch

Reaction score
weird, strange, mysterious creatures!

That first pic looks like they were engaged in some ancient pachynobian ritual. Circle the amphora. Maybe a earthworm summoning ritual. Did you hear any chanting when you took the pic?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As a drunken friend once said "I like them because they´re ugly".
The first picture is almost unsettling, hehe, if their position had been perfect, all looking in the same direction, i would have been expecting Cthulhu any time.

Thanks for sharing. Have you had them for long? Any breeding success?

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: Pachyhynobius roundabout

from November until April in a 100x50x30 tank in the basement with stoneplates and branches, the rest of the year they are outside and its open for rain. Food: most earthworm, nightcrawler, frozen or fresh oktobus cutted in smal strip, no waterpump outside,

Molch: at night I hear a "secret cave chanting" and my cat turn tail and flee...

Eljorgo: Yes, I received the Email

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: Pachyhynobius roundabout

Rodrigo: sadly unfertilized, more than ten years we tried with warm and very cold, seperate them....but they don't feel home...

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Strange... You should try contact Jean Rafaelli and Arnaud Jamin. They both breed these in the past. Arnaud told me he actually wasn't expecting to breed them as he only had the animals for a pair of weeks offered by Jean but he did, 2 nice egg sacs 40 eggs each.
Cheers and thanks for letting know Peter.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1