Tiger salamander throwing up

misaj

Reaction score
Country
Czech_Republic
Hello, I have two tiger salamanders for about two weeks. I gave both of them 2 earthworm today. I about an hour my salamander threw it up - one earthworm was still movig, so the other ate it. Do you think my tiger was just too full? Shlould I feed them less? Or it was a bad earthwarm? Or can my salamander be ill? When shlould I feed him again? Is it normal that they throw up? Sorry for so many questions but i am really worried about them.
Thanks a lot

I have the same probleme and there are a few threads about this already. My tigers only eat big earthworm(lobworm,Lumbricus terrestris) all other worms I have tried they will either bite and spit out, or as your did now swallow and after a short while threw it up. And I don't think you have to be worried about sickness as it probably only was because they thought it tasted bad. They may however "learn" to accept it if you try a while. I tried 2 years and finally gave up and tried lob instead, which obviously tasted like christmass.

Thank you a lot. I'm a bit less worried now. Yes I have read about your problem.. But I think mine is a bit different - my salamander seemed to like the earthworm - he ate two of them, completely swallowed them and threw them up after about an hour later. Do you think he could have realised that it tasted bad after an hour? I gave him one cricket today and he seems fine. Do you think I shlould feed him as much he wants now? Or put him on a "diet" for a while? Thanks anyway

It isn't normal but it can happen. Don't overfeed. Two to three times a week is fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back