Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

URGENT: leaving larvae for the weekend?

giventofly

Reaction score
I have 12 axolotl larvae that are about 17 days old. I am going home for Thanksgiving break, so I will be gone from Thursday until Sunday evening. My options (as I see them) are:

1. Leave the babies in a large tupperware container with grindal worms for food over the weekend. Problem with this would be the lack of water changes though I've heard grindal worms can survive several days in tank water.
  2. Take the babies home with me. This would involve them traveling in the car with me for about 2 hours. Problem is the water sloshing around and the trauma of traveling back and forth.

Any suggestions? I really don't have anyone to take care of them if I don't transport them because all of my roommates are going home for the weekend too. If I can't find a solution, I may just have to leave Thursday morning and come back sometime Friday instead of staying the whole weekend.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I would take them with you. Larvae that small will be affected very badly by ammonia, and 4 days will build up a lot of it. You can transport them in a fish bag or 2, I find there is less sloshing in a bag than a box or tub.

ArdyBay

Reaction score
I'd take them with you.

Just be very careful about the water at your house vs the water where you are now. I did this back in college and something about the water at my house wiped all my larvae out. Have someone pull water and have it decholorinate/treat it so you have it for water changes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!