Question: How dark do axanthic mels get?

Ehhz

Reaction score
Country
United States
A local breeder has a new batch of axanthic mels, some GFP. I love axanthics, but I'm worried the melanoid would make them turn out to be much darker than I am hoping. If anyone has pictures of adult axanthic mels, I would love to see them! Or any other knowledge on appearances. Thanks in advance. :)

they normally are a grey-purple color, some get darker then others but most ive seen are like a mid-tone blue-grey (Eeyore from winnie the Pooh is the closest i can think to explain)

I actually dont have any axanthic 'lotls, so I cant answer your question, BUT I would be hesitant if I were you, especially if you are new to Axolotl care; axanthicism is the inability to produce pteridines (the yellow\orange pigmentation) and pteridines play a role in the immune system, so they have an even lower survival rate than other morphs :(

If you are just looking for more of an eyore coloring (as opposed to that purple hue), might I suggest getting a melanoid and putting him on light colored sand or a light towel under the tank if you are not using substrate? Juvenile mels try their hardest to blend and will often tend to lighter on light substrate :p

OH! One thing I CAN answer for you! From my research on genetics, Axanthic axolotls ARE ALL Melanoid :) How dark they are depends on luck and substrate color.

A local breeder has a new batch of axanthic mels, some GFP. I love axanthics, but I'm worried the melanoid would make them turn out to be much darker than I am hoping. If anyone has pictures of adult axanthic mels, I would love to see them! Or any other knowledge on appearances. Thanks in advance. :)
old thread and old question but this is mine
961100E4-C4AE-44E3-BD23-CC4C64861543.jpeg
C4F29989-4492-4FD2-AC7B-DCA2EA28E2C4.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back