Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ACF that has problems staying on the bottom

C

cindy

He seems like he can't seem to go to the bottom to rest. The way to describe this is that there's a magnet and he's the metal part that keeps getting drawn up to the surface. He doesn't seem bloated, and his appetite is still good. Still he seems to be stressing. Could anyone please give me an idea as to what's wrong? I recently did a partial water change and used Amquel Plus whereas I've used Stress Coat in the past. Could this be the problem? If it's some kind of swim bladder problem, could anyone shed light on this for me? How can I make things better for him? Thanks for anyone's help. I appreciate it!

J

jennifer

To reduce his stress, either pack the tank with a lot of floating plants, or else move him to a temporary container with very shallow water. With so little water, you'll probably need to change the water every day.

In terms of longer-term care, I really don't know. It may be the kind of thing that goes away on its own. Maybe try changing to a different kind of food?

C

cindy

It did end up going away on it's own. The behavior lasted probably for 24 hours, so I have no idea if it was a gas bubble or what.
smile6.gif
I'm only relieved that he's back to his old croaking self.
happy.gif

martin

Reaction score
Hello,
is your frog a juvenile or a adult frog?
For juvenile ADCFs I know this from my own experience and some other Pipidae frog keepers.

At least after two days always it goes away.

Bye Martin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1