Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ask the expert about warty newt

septama

Reaction score
Hi, my newt now looks fully adopted to her new environmental, she eating almost everything (worm, pellet, shrimp, fly) and really won't stop eating until all food are gone. Ussually I gave her twenty small pellet for her everyday and it will be gone in a matter of eyes blink, I just want to know how much is too much for her, thanks

Lasher

Reaction score
Thats always difficult to judge without knowing the animal, I would say feed as much as she will take in 20 minutes or so plus a smidgen more every couple of days. At least thats the theory I've always worked on, though I warn you my newts do tend to end up looking a bit... porky.

septama

Reaction score
Thats always difficult to judge without knowing the animal, I would say feed as much as she will take in 20 minutes or so plus a smidgen more every couple of days. At least thats the theory I've always worked on, though I warn you my newts do tend to end up looking a bit... porky.

ok thanks for the information, that's a good idea, I'll try to see how many pelet she could take in 20 minutes, if I use bloodworm it will gone really fast for sure, probably 2-3 blocks

Lasher

Reaction score
At the moment I have two CO's, 3-4inchs, between them a betta and 10 cloud mountain minnows I feed two cubes of bloodworms very other day and every other feeding is one block supplemented with worms or prawn. Flakes on the off days for the fish.

septama

Reaction score
Hi all
Just an update of my newt pix, now she looks really chubby as I apply the feeding schedule as suggested, should I limit her food now? I just afraid she got obesity

Attachments

• newt1.jpg
    newt1.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 656
  • newt2.jpg
    newt2.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 230
  • newt3.jpg
    newt3.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 292

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
She looks fine to me. Girls should be a bit more curvy, and a slightly chubby caudate is always better than one that's too skinny. I wouldn't cut back food.

Lasher

Reaction score
Girls should be a bit more curvy

Couldnt agree more! :D

And back to the topic of caudates...
She looks fine to me septama. I would call that 'healthy', not fat. As kaysie says I've found the females of the species are generaly larger and more rounded. Looks like your doing well, nothing to worry about :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1