Warty Newt sexing?

firedreams

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Lydia
I am still trying to identify the gender of my warty newt. I understand that warty newts are particularly hard to sex, but that there is generally some difference in cloaca size. As I do not have access to another warty newt to compare with mine, I've attached some cloaca pics and was wondering if anyone could offer an opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,533
  • IMG_5335.jpg
    IMG_5335.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,700
AW: Warty Newt sexing?

Looks like a male Paramesotriton chinensis to me.

Thanks!

So, given that my newt looks like a male, I would like to get him a female newt as a tankmate.

The tank is a 5 gallon affair, deep water with river rocks and live plants and logs that afford some hiding places.

Is adding another newt likely to cause friction? Is he likely to appreciate the company, or will it potentially upset him?

My males don't play nice in my group. I have one dominate male that wanders the tank and the other two hide from him. He will harass the females some, but not any hard bitting like he does too the males. If you can try and track down a loose female from one of the caudata members. Now many other Chiensis keepers might have nicer males than mine, but I would suggest sticking with a female, maybe two. Good luck with your Chiensis.

Chuck

Firedreams

You should think about getting a larger aquarium for more than one animal. 5 Gallons is too small for more than one Chiensis. If you get another animal try to get a tank with a length of at least 20 inches to give the animals room to escape each others company. Make sure their is plenty of hides for them in the water and also make sure their is some form of land, as my females have a tendency to sometimes hang out of the water during the day. If you plan on using the 5 gallon I would not add another animal.

5gallons is most definitely too small for this species. Maintaining water quality becomes very difficult in such little volume.

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses!

I will definitely get a bigger tank before adding a second newt. Would 10-15 gallons be ok for two?

Does my newt need another newt to be happy? Will he be lonely by himself? It sounds from many of the posts on the forum that newts are not fond of each others' company.

I have another issue as well: in the past few days, my newt has developed a prominent, light coloured stripe down both sides of his tail. I will post a separate thread regarding this, with a picture.

Thanks for all the experience and help!

Does my newt need another newt to be happy? Will he be lonely by himself? It sounds from many of the posts on the forum that newts are not fond of each others' company.
For newt it makes no difference, but tank look better with more newts in (i don't say too many newts), with one newt you won't breed them ;)
I think minimum for pair of warty newts is ca. 15-gallon (50 l) tank (60cm long).

Re: AW: Warty Newt sexing?

Looks like a male Paramesotriton chinensis to me.

Does anyone have a picture of a definate male and a definate female P. chinesis? I would like to get mine a mate...not knowing the sex makes that a bit tricky.

I did search. I must have put the wrong words in the search engine.

Thank you. I have decided that I must have a female? Hahaha...she is still fairly small so maybe I am wrong.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back