Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pygmy Marbled Newt

Viv

Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know anything about these newts. Setups, food, if anyone is selling them right now. If you own them, can you please post pictures of the setup. Thanks.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing any for sale in the USA.

Viv

Reaction score
Thats too bad that no one is selling them. Hopefully someone will be selling CB ones soon in the USA.

merk199

Reaction score
If you have a lead on some pygmy send me a PM. I know myself and a few other members have been looking for a while.

Check out the T Marm care sheet it will answer almost all your questions.

Viv

Reaction score
Yeah I have already checked CaudataCulture out. I will send you a PM if I find someone who is selling them. Can you do that for me if you find someone?

GeoNewt

Reaction score
I currently have a pair of sub-adults, and have found them to be pretty straight-forward. I keep mine in a relatively simple 12x12x12" cube, with a soil/bark chip substrate and a large water area for half the year, and then change to an aquatic set-up in the spring. They eat very well on the usual foods (bloodworm, crickets etc).

Attachments

• IMGP2431.jpg
    IMGP2431.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 10,056
  • IMGP1510.jpg
    IMGP1510.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 4,240
  • IMGP1020.jpg
    IMGP1020.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 4,147

Viv

Reaction score
GeoNewt, how do you manage to keep the water from seeping into the dirt? Are you trying to breed these right now or anytime soon?

legardored

Reaction score
Geonewt:

what type of soil do u use? i've moved recently to UK and do not want to buy stuff that might possibly contain chemicals. would really appreciate some info :) thx

GeoNewt

Reaction score
The tank is an ENT dartfrog terrarium, which has a raised glass section for land, then a shallow water area at the front with a drainage hole. I simply filled the water area, and then siliconed cork panel onto the edge of the glass land area to stop soil and moss from sliding into the water. I use a mixture of orchid bark and Exo-Terra plantation soil, which seems to work well and is widely available. I hope to breed them at some point in the not so distant future, but I only have the two individuals at the moment. I bought them last spring from a breeder in Kent who often has a stall at the UK reptile fairs (Maidstone, Brentwood etc), but I don't know if he still has any available.
Hope this is of help, George.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!