Torch light amphibian safari

K

killian

Here are some pics I took tonight whilst checking on my outdoor vivaria.

32321.jpg

Female alpine newt in pond

32322.jpg

Male on edge of alpine pond

32323.jpg

same male at edge of pond

32324.jpg

Fire salamanders not long emerged from hibernation

32325.jpg

Female looking a little plump?????

32326.jpg

fire salamander again

32327.jpg

these rana tempora are wild in the big pond the males round here are very dark?

32328.jpg

Some European yellow bellied toads that were hiding under a log in their viv.

I live in The far north of Co.Donegal, Ireland and when I decided to put some amphibians outside many people told me it would never work. I now hope to add some new species to the collection.

Nice good shots too, hopefully get some eggs soon, looking a little fat :p

they look great, it's good they survived the winter, but i expected them to survive, being in Ireland and all

good for you!
frog.gif

Nice pictures!
It would also be very interesting to see some pictures of your outdoor vivarias.
Greets David!

how do you feed the animals? or do you let them feed themselves? how large are the vivariums? do you mix any of the species?

(Message edited by will_j on March 11, 2005)

The vivariums vary in size from small coldframes, to greenhouses and open topped walled enclosures. some of the tamer animals such as the alpine newts will come to the surface to take worms from my fingers but I only rarely do this as you would be suprised at the amount of inverts that find their way into the enclosures, even the greenhouse.

i will take some pics of the enclosures in the daylight and post them soon.

which species do you keep together or don't you?

i'm thinking of making a couple outdoor vivariums, i was thinkinig of bombina bombina/variegata with triturus alpestris and salamandra salamandra with an undecided frog/toad/newt/salamander species.

what subspecies of salamandra do you have?

I keep no species together but plan on putting some hyla arborea in the greenhouse with the bombina variegata. the reason I dont mix is incase the newts eat frog or toad tadpoles saying they are more aquatic. when the anura breed the young can stay in the enclosure a lot longer.

I keep salamandra terrestris outdoors on their own.

There are various frogs toads and salamanders that can be kept outdoors very succesfully. A friend of mine keeps, midwife toads, tiger salamanders, banded newts, alpine newts, marbled salamanders, fire salamanders, common toads, great crested newts, palmate newts and axolotl outdoors.

I have some T. carnifex that I hope to move outdoors later this month and also hope to get some bombina bombina later this year.

If you want any more help or advice please dont hesitate to contact me with more questions

okay thank you, i've got some marbled salamanders, and to get them to breed it would be a good experiment to keep them outside but i'd never see them, and i'd get really worried, i'd need bold species like bombina so i would know how they were getting on.

btw, has anyone here from europe noticed any predation between triturus and bombina larvae in the wild?

thats great i wish i could have a outdoor vivarium like that if i did it would freeze over

(Message edited by carl_the_dude on March 12, 2005)

Freezing over is no problem at all. in fact it is good for the animals brings them into good breeding condition. as long as you have a good hibernacula it seems to work fine.

As to seeing your marbeld salamanders, they remain pretty active for most of the winter and everytime I have visited my friends collection most of his were visable.

still i'd be worried sick, i'll stick with bombina and triturus to start with, that is if i can persuade my parents to let me have one in the first place!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back