Big axo+ little axo =yikes

H

heather

My big axies in the old tank are around 8in. The new guy is like only 3.5 and in his own tank for now. Just curious; how big should the new guy be before he is put in with the big guys (safely)

I have put 100mm small axies in with 300mm adults and had no problems but my tank was big, didn't have too many occupants and had lots of hiding places at the time.

But I wouldn't reccommend it for anyone else. Best waiting till your youngsters are closer to 150mm.

My adults all in excess of 250mm now are on my 4ft tank while my 3 babies (150-190mm) enjoy life in a 3ft tank. I consider myself at full capacity and don't intend to put anymore in these two tanks.

I've always used the guideline of "the littlest head should outsize the biggest mouth."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back