The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

North American Newts (Notophthalmus & Taricha) While not closely related, these two genera are the true newts of North America.

Old 26th October 2013   #1
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Taricha Granulosa

I now have sitting on my kitchen window ledge a little group of this years captive bred German Taricha granulosa. They are approximately 2" in length and incredibly gorgeous They are currently fed white worm and small earthworm, they are fully aquatic except for the odd venture up the side of the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taricha granulosa 2013 x10 016.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	33558   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taricha granulosa 2013 x10 019.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	33559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taricha granulosa 005.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	33560  

Last edited by bellabelloo; 26th October 2013 at 23:05. Reason: Felt the need to mention country of origin.
bellabelloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013   #2
Eva
(evut)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Taricha Granulosa

Congratulations! They look adorable. How many did you get?

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013   #3
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Just 10

Old 26th October 2013   #4
Ian T

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ian T has shown reliable knowledge

Only 10, I admire your self-restraint..!

Ian T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013   #5
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:

I am hoping the group will have at least one of each sex...knowing my luck they will all be males

Old 26th October 2013   #6
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Just 10 she says....no, no..just rub it in will you?
Best of lucks with the sex ratios, we want to see you producing bucket fulls of these in a few years

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013   #7
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

AAAHHHHH i love T. Granulosa! they live around here too! They look great as well! i wish i could have bred mine but no eggs . They were in amplexus within a few hours after putting them in aquatic phase. Hoping they aren't all males! i cant find any males anywhere! last year i found 16 newts and only 2 were males. Congrats! -Seth

sde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013   #8
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Lovely animals! When they do breed they really go for it - Patrick had a couple of hundred for sale this year!
How quickly do you think they'll reach maturity?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013   #9
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Good luck with them. They are the cutest of all newts!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013   #10
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:

I believe it will be around four years.
These are offered a land area which they have rarely used so far. It seems that this group that he has raised seem to have stayed aquatic. I wonder if they choose to stay aquatic, if they reach maturity at a different age.
I am quite patient so will quietly wait and see.

Old 27th October 2013   #11
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Keep us updated! -Seth

Old 28th October 2013   #12
vince59

Nationality:
Rep: vince59 is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, they are very beautiful. Maturity is around 4 years. I have Gerfeld acquisition of juveniles in Germany. They can stay water all the time. I advise you a contribution in brine which gives a beautiful orange belly.

vince59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013   #13
Ezequiel Velasco
(velasco13000)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

which patrick is the one that had a hundred for sale??

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013   #14
Niels D
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Patrick S. from Germany. I've got 8 of his juvies this year standing in my living room right now. They're doing very well. Geordie shore Cliff is going to pick them up though.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013   #15
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:

This little one was rather distracting me... just needs a little cape...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	007.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	33634  

Old 31st October 2013   #16
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Hehe hehe that's funny! you should buy him one! -Seth

Old 4th December 2013   #17
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:

These little ones seem to be growing well :)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	34091   Click image for larger version

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	34092   Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	34093  

Old 8th January 2014   #18
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:

Most of the little lovelies are now just over 3'' in length. They have progressed from live daphnia and white worm to earthworms. They are quite convinced that if the continuously beg for food, there will be a constant supply.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	34608   Click image for larger version

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	34609   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	34610   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	34611  

Old 9th January 2014   #19
Garrett
(Cap10Squirty)

Nationality:
Rep: Cap10Squirty is an unknown quantity at this point

That second photo is awesome!

Cap10Squirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014   #20
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:

One by one, since the 23/1/14, I have had them dieing. It looks like something has poisoned them. I am down to three now, with one not looking too good.

I had fed them their usual meal of earthworms before going to work. When I returned two were dead. One by one they begin to float and curl up and then die, one appeared to go through a spell of convulsions . The live daphnia in their tank where still merrily swimming around.
I had my last order of earthworms for over a month and nothing appears amiss. These are kept in one of two worm buckets and fed vegetable peelings( I buy organic so I am reasonably happy there was nothing nasty on them). I have emptied the aquarium and nothing appeared amiss. The water quality was checked when the first became ill with my test kit, and a sample was tested at the local aquatic centre and that was spot on.

All my other animals that are fed from the same worm bin are good. I am at a loss to know what has caused this.