Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Swollen lower jaw, signs of a fungal infection, non eating

odduvan

Reaction score
Dear all.
Hope you will help me to define the sickness and treatment.
Axie age 2,5 years, lives in 100 liter tank, coal filtered, temp 23 C.
Feeding with frozen bloodworm each 3-4 days.
Lately lost appetite, mouth always open for 2-2,5 mm, moves gills evey minute, lower jaw is significantly swollen, has small white "cotton" pieces on the fingers and 1 elbow.
He used to have some 1,5 - 2 cm white "threads" hanging from cloaca, but they are gone today.
Pics and video here.
edit

edit

Today applied antibiotics Tetra Medica Lifeguard as advised by local aquarium vet.
Definitely he is heat stressed - will work on the temp to come down.
PLEASE HELP TODEFINE THE DESEASE because in Kiev (Ukraine) seem to be no experts in axie treatment.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20140910_093854.jpg
    IMG_20140910_093854.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 897
  • IMG_20140910_093829.jpg
    IMG_20140910_093829.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_20140910_094247.jpg
    IMG_20140910_094247.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 876

layna

Reaction score
Have you looked inside your axies mouth to see if anything is stuck in there?

The cotton sounds like fungus which could be a result of the high temp, salt baths and fridging will fix this. As you will be keeping them cooler and killing off the fungus.

I would advise reading the sticky on fridging and salt bathing. Get your axie in the fridge and do daily salt baths to get rid of the fungus. Putting them in the fridge also slows their metabolism so you have a little more time to figure out whats wrong with his jaw.

If you are going to fridge your axie though it needs to be for a good few days, you cant put them in for one day and then take them out as the temp changes could make them worse.

I would also immmediatly stop using the tetra medica stuff as axies are very sensitive to chemicals and absorb things through their skin, you could just make it worse if you keep using that.

odduvan

Reaction score
Update for today:
Symptoms:
Remained the same.
Added: cloaca a bit swollen with white pus theads sticking out.

Treatment:
Unfortunatey/luckily have to continue the treatment with Tetra Medica Lifeguard, because the course is already started and should be carried out for 5 days.
Trying to gently cool down the water in the tank in order not to make a rapid temp. change.

I have discovered the Dropsy desease (ascites) - not sure the wodring is exact, bu the description isvery similar to what's happening now with axie's jaw. - What do you think?

Has anyone else encountered this porblem?

odduvan

Reaction score
Day 3 of treatment.
Situation didn't change in either of ways.
Cooling water down to around 20 C, continuing Tetra Medica Lifeguard.
Actively looking for a herpetologist to cure our buddy.

odduvan

Reaction score
Day 4 of treatment.
He died.
Presumably at night.
Swollen head, most of the body up to cloaca.

PLEASE HELP TO DEFINE THE REASON.

Should I take the body for the autopsy? Do vets do that?

Nachtmare

Reaction score
I'm sorry about your axie, I've never seen anything like it. Have you seen it ever swallow the gravel? Axies shouldn't have gravel as a substrate so maybe that had something to do with it.

Daryna

Reaction score
Hey,

I just had this same thing happen to 2 of my young axolotls and today I noticed one of my older ones showing first signs so I tried refridgerating her. She pooped and regurgitated quite a lot and now she's doing much better. I don't know what it was but it seems like refridgerating helps.

Btw where did you axolotls in Ukraine cause I'm Ukrainian living in Australia and ever since I got my axolotl here my younger sister has been wanting to get one.

Sorry for your axolotl passing away

xxianxx

Reaction score
Sorry its too late to help but that swollen throat can often be indicative of
a bacterial infection. You also need to sort out your basic care, 23c is way too high and bloodworm is not a good diet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1