Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Swollen, constipated, still eats/swims/is alert?

oriissy

Reaction score
Hi, I have a seven year old melanoid axolotl who lives with an albino tank mate of the same age, both males and very friendly towards each other. Their tank is 75 gallons with many hides, larger rocks (not able to be consumed), and a fine sand substrate. I have hard water but treat it with API stress coat and do 50% water changes twice a month. I also have a cartridge filter with very established media.

Yesterday, I found my melanoid on the bottom where he usually is, and he even reacted to my movement and the light as if he were about to get fed. The problem was that his stomach had become swollen gradually for about three days, and yesterday it was too much to ignore. I don't think anything hard is inside, as there aren't any protrusions on either side of his ribs. The swelling is symmetrical/spherical, and bigger than his head. I put both axolotls in the fridge overnight until today when I could do a 100% water change and removed all substrate to prevent a possible ingestion again, if that is what this is. They haven't had an issue with the sand before, as they have lived on it their entire lives. The rocks are bigger than them, so he couldn't have eaten one.

What could this be? I'll keep him in the fridge until I see signs of improvement, while the albino will get to go back into their clean tank.

Donna001

Reaction score
Hello oriissy and welcome to the forum.

Would you be able to post some pictures of your axolotl? That would be very helpful.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1