Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Inbreeding in axolotls

Isabellaw

Reaction score
Hello from the UK,

Our two axolotyls were given to us by a teacher friend in June. They were about 4 or 5 months old then and were from the same clutch of eggs. Just before Christmas we found eggs in the tank and voila, almost all of them hatched. We had around 50 but have had around 10 per cent die off since the tadpoles were born.

I am wondering how much the fact that these tadpoles are the offspring of brother and sister will have on their health, both in the short term and long term. I don't think the mother and father were closely related, dad was a golden albino and the mum a wild type. We have around 25 per cent very pale ones which i suppose is to be expected. These seem quite a bit smaller than the others and we have had a very slightly higher die off in these.

All in all though so far the tadpoles seem really healthy and I am wondering what I am going to do with them!

Any thoughts greatfully received.

June and Isabella

Isabellaw

Reaction score
Re: Inbreeding in axolotyls

I am trying to post a picture of the tadpoles magnified.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    831.8 KB · Views: 262
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!