Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Marbled vs Tiger Salamander

Which salamander is most active/visible in its enclosure?

• Marbled Salamander

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Tiger Salamander

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

MnGuy

Reaction score
Hey All,

Which one would you recommend -- marbled salamander or tiger salamander -- if I wanted a salamander that I'll see moving about its enclosure at least some of the time? I know all salamanders will be secretive, but I'm not interested in something that's going to be burrowed 100% of the time.

And what's your experience with each?

Thank you for your thoughts and time!

NinjaNewt

Reaction score
Hey All,

Which one would you recommend -- marbled salamander or tiger salamander -- if I wanted a salamander that I'll see moving about its enclosure at least some of the time? I know all salamanders will be secretive, but I'm not interested in something that's going to be burrowed 100% of the time.

And what's your experience with each?

Thank you for your thoughts and time!

Spotted salamanders are like that sometimes, or at least some of mine. Also, I've heard some ruber salamanders act like that, but if you want a for sure active species I'd go for one of the two that you mentioned or fire salamanders.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Spotted salamanders are like that sometimes, or at least some of mine. Also, I've heard some ruber salamanders act like that, but if you want a for sure active species I'd go for one of the two that you mentioned or fire salamanders.

Thanks for the great info. Whenever possible I like to adopt/buy pets from people are trying to find new homes for, and a marbled salamander came up in my neck of the woods. I had always thought about getting a tiger salamander, so I wasn't well-versed in marbled salamander care/behavior. It's rare to come across tiger salamanders (or any, really) for sale locally.

MisterWayne

Reaction score
I have two Marbled Salamanders that i really enjoy. Very easy to care for and however i never see mine unless its feeding time. They really do stay hidden most of the time. As long as you watch temps and keep them well feed with good substrate they aren't very hard to keep.

coleonyx

Reaction score
I have 3 Opcaum now, my original one is quite secretive although I always see her at night when she is active. When I first got her she was always on view and would eat from my fingers but she seems to be fed up of me now and has taken on more natural fossorial behaviour!. She is in an enclosure with a slightly smaller female who is much more visible and doesn't burrow as much, seems happy to wait at the entrance of cork bark tunnels for any passing bugs.

My smallest one is on her own and is the most outgoing, can usually catch her out walking around the terrarium at night, I haven't kept this species before so I have no idea if they become more reclusive as they get older, mine certainly seem that way though. None of them are as shy as I thought they would be going off what I read about them online, I suppose it helps if they are somewhere you can view them at night in low light.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!