Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lazy Man's Guide to Worm Harvesting.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I do not like digging for worms in peat or soil so i thought of a few tips that can be helpful. I would like anyone with additional tips to add on to the list.

1 - Use forceps to pick the worms rather than fingers. Offers better grip and precision in catching that squirmy worm.

2 - Fridge a portion of worms (with accompanying soil or peat) in a tub. The worms will crawl up to the lid surface for easy picking due to the cold.

3 - The tiny net/sieve/colander is useful for a quick wash of a clump of soil or peat (with worms in it) under the tap or a tub of water. The soil will be washed off trapping the worm the worms ripe for picking.

Nattles88

Reaction score
A bloke I know lies newspaper down and weighs it down at the edges with rocks/wood etc. Make sure its a bit wet, pick it up in the morning and voila! worms under the paper! Havent done it myself but he tells me he's been doing it for years. I also know another technique involving an electric fence but that only works if you live on a farm like me

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
A bloke I know lies newspaper down and weighs it down at the edges with rocks/wood etc. Make sure its a bit wet, pick it up in the morning and voila! worms under the paper!

This method works wonders. Just remember that the paper does in fact have to be wet for it to work.

I also know another technique involving an electric fence but that only works if you live on a farm like me

I must ask about this method. :grin:

nora

Reaction score
Laying cardboard down on the ground works great too.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hahaha, I follow the same method as you Ray - I have a tiny "worm sieve" - it is actually a tea strainer, but it looks just like a minature sieve for worms!!!

Zoe x

PatricALOTL

Reaction score
wow, they are some interesting ideas:D
i used to spend like ages, looking for worms under pot plants and rocks in my yard...then i looked inside the pot plants by easing the plant out, and looking underneath, i'd find like, 20 big fat ones and heaps of little ones (my mum told me off, cause i accidently killed a plant :proud:)

so instead of searching around in the dirt i chose an easier quicker option...

for all those that live in AUSTRALIA, go to your local Bunnings Warehouse, and head to like the plant section, with all your composts and stuff, and they have a whole section for earthworms and worm farms... i bought a booster pack of approx 500 worms, they'r completly environmently friendly, pesticides/chemical free..... it came in like a cardboard box with a list of instructions on top on how to care for them. i just keep mine in their box, in my room, they dont smell, they'r not NOISY and its quite simple, and really easy to pick out a big worm, wash off any dirt, then hand feed it to your axie. It only cost me $27 (price may vary in diffrent areas) but it was sooooooo worth it!!!!

If you ring up your local plant nursery or any good Hardware store they should sell earthworms as well... ive never checked out Mitre 10 or Home Hardwares, but i believe they sell the same thing...

Anyways, just thought i'd let you know that, cause it sure beats digging around the dirt!!

PATRICE:p <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1