Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloat, Fat or Gravid?

LJ

Reaction score
I purchased two newts, labeled "Shiriken Imori" (sword tailed newt) from my local aquarium shop about three weeks ago. They weren't emaciated, but it was a couple of days before they'd accept the earthworms I'd so carefully collected from my garden. I noticed one was gaining weight much more rapidly than the other, but attributed it to it being a better hunter; they're affectionately nicknamed Stupid and The Other One. Stupid stares at a worm, tries to bite it and misses, and then darts away in fright when the worm touches its nose. I've seen Stupid swim away from a wriggling meal, then The Other One has appeared and stolen the meal before its tank mate can return. They both gained a little weight, and I thought they were just plump and happy.
set-72157624903617363
set-72157624903617363

After a week of watching their behavior I thought maybe I'd mislabeled them. Perhaps The Other One was female and gravid. It was gaining weight much more rapidly than Stupid, had a more swollen cloaca and was pear-shaped. I watched for mating behavior and eggs. Today I though, I thought, You know, maybe I was wrong again. It's male and sick, because it seems even fatter than the last time I really took note. I did read the article on bloat, but am still confused.
set-72157624903617363
set-72157624903617363
set-72157624903617363
set-72157624903617363

Stupid developed a cloudy eye yesterday, which already means potential quarantine time and an occasional salt bath if it doesn't shed soon, but do I have two ill newts? Did I sex The Other One properly? Why is it so dang fat?

Note: The Other One spends a lot of time in the water and seems to have no problem staying down.
Second Note: I'm not sure if the links to the pictures are working, but this is the link to the Flickr set Newts - a set on Flickr. The one with cloudy eye and weird toes is Stupid.
Other Note: They do have real names, but are mostly irrelevant to the situation.

Joost

Reaction score
Wonderfull newts. They look pretty normal and they are certainly not fat, or bloat. In fact they look more skinny, so feed them good. Also I don't think they're gravid, but if they are, they don't have that many eggs.
My first impression is that they are healthy newts.

The bad eye mostly will get better within a few days.

LJ

Reaction score
Thanks! The skinny one did shed, so hopefully the eye will clear up soon. It doesn't seem to have trouble seeing, at least. Now to get it to eat the earthworms instead of flee from them…

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Try providing chopped pieces of earthworm. A section from the midle of the worm will wriggle but has not directional capability, so it doesn't try to escape, but just attracts the newt's attention. Feed the more aggressive eater a largish piece first to keep it occupied while you feed the thinner one. You can also try defrosted frozen bloodworm, as this smells to attract the newt's attention, but doesn't wriggle. Make sure you remove any uneaten food after a bit, though, to stop it fouling the water.

Chris

LJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I did get the thinner one to eat, and even though it's still pretty dumb, it gets along :)

The fatter, smarter one, however, seems to be developing bloat. I noticed its throat was swollen yesterday. After reading through Caudata I quarantined the newt and gave it a salt bath. In case the issue was a swollen tongue I also used a syringe to rinse the newt's mouth.

Today the issue seems to be getting worse. Perhaps it's my own paranoia, but I think my poor creature is getting seriously ill. It doesn't seem to have trouble breathing or staying underwater, but it doesn't care to eat. Any advice, or should I just prepare myself for the worst?

Link to the Flickr set: Newton is sick

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1