Sick juvenile axolotl- white splotches

Leiopelma

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there,

I'm a first-time axolotl owner. I got a couple of juveniles (about 3 months old) a black one and a gold one a few days ago. I set up their tank with a gravel filter, oxy shell, oxygen weed and about 35 litres of water. They're both about 8cm long.

Recently, the gold one has developed white splotches on his/her tail and a few white patches ont he gills. The gills are also facing forward and the tail was curling before (but has straightened out). I read some stuff on axolotl.org and it said that it may be a fungus or bacterial thing so I gave it a couple of salt baths yesterday and it seemed to get better. Today it's worse though.

I turned off the gravel filter in case the water flow was bothering them, no change. The black one seems to be doing fine (though it excreted a weird white, stringy substance the other day).

I have some feeder fish in with them (mosquito fish) but I put these in after the gold one seemed to be sick.

Any ideas on what to do? I will give it another salt bath today

Thanks!!

Leiopelma

Last edited:
please can somebody help, I'm still waiting to see if it's ok...

Are you able to provide a photo ? What temperature are they being kept at and what are the readings for ammonia ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back