Illness/Sickness: Bloat, or pregnant?

kotusz

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
Hello newtlovers !

Something is wrong with one of my cfb newt. It has swollen cloaca and body, i dont know it has bloat, or its just pregnant. It is shedding his skin now as well, and i noticed a strange greenish thing coming out of his nose.
I made some pictures with my phone, poor quality, but pls help me, whats happening to my litte sweetheart.

Thanks!

Attachments

• newt.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 167
Could you attach the photos as jpg, not zip? I am afraid to download any zip file from the internet.

Here is an article with photos you can compare:
Caudata Culture Articles: Bloat

Sure I can !

Now as it is developing im starting to think it is really bloat. Can i save him somehow? Maybe cool him down?

Attachments

• Fénykép0127.jpg
    Fénykép0127.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 516
  • Fénykép0126.jpg
    Fénykép0126.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 401
  • Fénykép0121.jpg
    Fénykép0121.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 447
The body doesn't look too bad, but the cloaca is very enlarged. Could it be an intestinal blockage? Is he still eating? I have no idea what the cause is, so no idea what sort of treatment might help.

I offered him frozen bloodworms today, but he didnt eat at all. It has a slight chance that he have eaten a small pebble maybe or a small snail:eek::eek: He has some white thing coming out from his cloaca sometimes:eek: He looks more swollen day by day:(

He may have eaten some of the gravel from the substrate. Is there any way you can restrain the newt and see if the white thing in the cloaca is a stuck pebble? If it is, you may be able to remove it with forceps.

What temperature are they kept at?

Is there a vet you can take the newt to?

Best of luck

C

I have tried to check his lower body if i can sense someting hard like a piece of gravel, but i couldnt sense anything :(
THe water temperature is always between 20-22 celsius, i cant make it any lower.

Unfortunately there are no vets here who can deal with newts :(

It seems now he is very depressed, he is floating on the surface most of the time, doesnt eat, doesnt do anything at all :(

I guess i can only wait and see if he survives or not:(

I don´t think that this is impaction, but a bad infection. The bloated belly and the greenish stuff from his nose makes me think so.
I would suggest to put him in the fridge and look for a vet ASAP.

I think his guts has ruptured during the night. A big excrement, filled with white fluid was seen on the side of his body, and his mouth was filled with something white stuff as well. So i decided to euthanise him today:( to end his suffering. He is resting in peace now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back