Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Constipated Newt

D

dannie

One of my Tarichas has been quite sluggish for a couple days and is fat around his lower abdominal region. At first I thought it was bloat but after reading the article I figured it may be constipation. What are some normal behaviors for constipated newts and how long does it normally take for them to overcome it? He's not as active as usual and "rests" with his eyes closed quite often. I don't think he's sick as I have not changed anything in the cage or added other newts. The only thing I've done is feed him and his tank mate a waxworm Sunday evening which is what I normally feed them. Any help is appreciated.

C

clint

the last time i gave my taricha a wax worm he got verry constapated. had all the symptomes of yours. he had his movement and is fine now. now i dont venture far from earthworms, his favorate

J

john

If he is constipated, I have read that you should provide some land area and feed the newt alot to get its intestins workin. So if it is still eating normally, feed it alot if your sure it is constipation. Could be that mabye you've got a female. I thought I had all males in my Firebelly newt tank and one got gravid and had some eggs. So look out for eggs sticking on your plants. they are clear and you can see the embryo inside.

D

dannie

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not carrying eggs because they only have a shallow water dish that they use. They are very terrestrial. He seems to be getting better. More alert and moving around again. I've never had this problem before with waxworms though. I feed them to all of my newts. o_O;; Thanks for the responses!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!