Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Semi-aquatic for T. marms?

ByrdRausch

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new to newts so I was looking for a little advice on keeping T. marms(marbled newts). I was planning on doing a semi-aquatic set-up, about 45/50 water to land. I'm not sure how many gallons my tank is but the dimensions are 20.5x12x11.5" LHW. Any suggestions would be great. I'll be posting a plan for what I was considering soon.

ByrdRausch

Reaction score
Here's a paint image of what I'm planning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
byrdrausch-albums-t-marm-viv-picture17774-t-marm-viv-idea.png

ByrdRausch

Reaction score
I was planning on starting with juveniles. I have read that care sheet, probably a million times actually haha :). I'm planning on getting a larger tank as soon as I can and I was under the impression that adults could be kept in a terrestrial set-up as long as they were given an aquatic set-up during breeding season. Is this me misunderstanding what I've read? Also the paint picture I provided isn't a very good one. I don't usually use paint but I had no way to scan the actual drawing.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, i see. That would work for juveniles just fine, although you don´t really need the water area. A water dish would suffice. Mind you, if you do create a shallow water area, it may get used from time to time.
If once they are adult your plan is to move them to an aquatic tank when the time comes, i´d suggest the same as for juveniles, just a water dish and the rest soil with plenty of hides.

ByrdRausch

Reaction score
I was thinking that this would look more natural and ascetically pleasing but if a dish would be better for the newts then I'm all for changing it.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s up to you, really. The water dish is just a bit more practical because the water is easier to clean, and they are unlikely to make much use of the water anyway (although this can vary among individuals).
If you use the hydroleca and the aquatic area remember to provide excellent ventilation as high humidty and bad ventilation are a dangerous combination for this species.

ByrdRausch

Reaction score
I think I'll start with the water area and if it becomes to impractical to use I'll switch to a dish. I was going to use a screen top. Should I use clips to hold it down like you would for a snake?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1