Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: High Nitrates

hdonahue

Reaction score
My cycle is set up but my nitrates are very high...I preformed two 20% water changes with no help.
I am worried about crashing my cycle as this has happened before from changing the water to often.
Her tank is clean, all messes cleaned up, though I should mention I found a HUGE mess under a log that has probably caused the big up shift in the nitrates but it is gone now and has been cleaned for about a day before the second water change.

Sally is floating a lot and stressing and I feel that it is the nitrates causing the problem, no other things are worrisome, so I would love any suggestions. Should I just keep up with the 20% or maybe 10% water changes daily?

Thank you in advance

jinian

Reaction score
Just how high is "very high"? I wouldn't normally expect a cycled tank to react poorly to moderate water changes, but since you say yours has -- what about moving Sally to a tub with dechlorinated tap water for a while? Separating her from the tank should help you diagnose what the problem is.

hdonahue

Reaction score
Alright just took all my measurement.

pH is 8.3 - I know its high and I have added a piece of drift wood and it is working on lowering the pH slowly. She has been in this pH her whole life and has not had a problem with it but I want it lower so she is more comfortable.

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - some where between 80-100 ppm if I had to guess. My color does not match well, its a really bright darker red (Which I realize is pointless in telling you, I just know its way too high.)

Temperature is steady at 62 Fahrenheit, fed every other day 1 or two night crawlers.
No live plants, I cannot get a hold of a species to tolerate the cold tank...She has an aerator and filter that are mild and plenty of hiding spots.

She has been floating and swimming like something is wrong and the nitrates are the only problem i can think of...she only does it every now and then so I don't know whats up.

I would just like to know how I can safely lower my nitrates without crashing my cycle. How much water is it okay for me to take out every two days to manage my nitrates. I think 15% would be okay. How about anyone else?

hdonahue

Reaction score
No I have not looked at any of the levels in the tap but that's a great idea. duh :wacko:
Sally is only one in the tank.

carsona246

Reaction score
I mean 100 ppm's of nitrate isn't great, but it shouldn't pose any immediate threat to Sally. Long term affects of high nitrate tend to be growth stunting in fish, and long term health problems, but I'm sure you could easily do daily 25% waterchanges to lower the nitrates down slowly and not change so much water you threaten a bacteria crash.
Although, I've done 90% waterchanges on a tank before, and had no problems with a mincycle. I think as long as you kept your filter media/substrate wet a large waterchange should pose no threat to bacteria. There is very little bacteria in the water

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!