Illness/Sickness: Help! Juvies haven't eaten in a week!

Sess

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have two Axies about 5inches long. They loved in a 10 gallon tank and thrived in it for 3 months as I got their 25gallon tank a DIY background. In this small tank I never checked water parameters, temp or even cycled it properly and the Axies grew up just fine and never had health issues. I also has a cascade underwater filter. It had a strong flow but I put a large fake plant in front of it and all was well.

Then once I felt the 25g tank was ready (after soaking and water changing to prevent chemical leech from the sealant if it had any) I filled it with sand, hairgrass and feeders to be sort of sacrificial test subjects. I thought if they lived the waters good and the Axies will have food to eat.

Two days go by and the feeder guppies were alive and well so I added the Axies.
On the fourth day all the feeders died. I assumed it was from hunger. I cleaned them up and noticed my Axies were becoming lethargic. They even refused to eat, and spat up anything they did swallow. I tried fringing them to no avail.
On the fifth day I moved the fake plant from I front of the filter as it was beginning to break. I notice the flow was fast but my Axies weren't bothered by it and could easily hide from the flow if they needed so I left it while I went to work.
Once I got home I noticed my Axies gill frills were almost completely gone! And that they were now stressed.

I headed straight for petsmart and a new aqua clear 30, which works great and has little to no flow to bother them. I then got a water testing kit.
Everything was fine but the ammonia, it stays at .25-.50. I've been changing to water 25% every day now and it still stays in the same range. I also noticed my temperature was at 25'c! I quickly got a large fan, frozen bottled water and cranked the ac. But it still at 21'c since last I checked.

But I never checked these parameters before and my old small tank was usually at 23'c when we have a humid heat wave live I am now and my Axies were fine then. Why is it now they are lethargic, emaciated, stressed and refusing to eat?
What can I do to save them!!

Two possibilities, first something was leeching out and after four days was at a high enough concentration to kill the guppies and now effecting the axolotls.

The other option is you added sick guppies which also go the axolotls sick.

How should I go about getting them better? Put then back to the older tank and start a fresh cycle in the large one? Are there any medications i should buy?

Did you let the sealant cure for a week while it was dry? It'll take about two days to cure for most sealants. I would empty let it dry while keeping the axolotls in the smaller tank. Then cycle the big tank after many rinses.

The sealant is aqua mix penetrating sealer. It has a total cure time if 24hrs. I was afraid of any leeching so I took extra precautions. I let it sit dry for 1.5 week. Then filled the tank, and let it soak for a few days then changed to water. I repeated this water change cycle for 2.5 weeks and I have seen people do a lot less work and their tanks were fine. Even using the same product as me.

I'm stressing out because I don't know how much longer they will last not eating!

I know you are upset and I don't blame you -
Perhaps someone else can chime in on this, but I am thinking that possibly the best thing you can do would be to put them in clean, separate large tupperwares or a plastic shoebox, keep them cool and keep the water clean. Try offering them bits of their favorite foods..maybe even try some small live earthworms or frozen blood worms, etc. Anything to get them interested.

Were I live its really hard to find anything besides frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. Ill have to look for more specialty stores (Winnipeg ftl). If there in small containers will they need filtration or just daily water changes?

Were I live its really hard to find anything besides frozen blood worms or brine shrimp. Ill have to look for more specialty stores (Winnipeg ftl). If there in small containers will they need filtration or just daily water changes?

The axies willl need daily or twice daily water changes. I would do twice daily in a situation like that. Transfer them by fish net to another container during WC.

Do you have any bait shops where you could check for some smaller earthworms? Or you could dig some from your garden as long as no chemicals or dangerous fertilizers have been used in the area.

Somewhere, possibly on caudata, there is a force feeding tutorial. However I have never tried it, and I think that it would just cause more unneeded stress. Perhaps something to consider if things get more dire...

Thank you I will try some bait shops and will be transferring them now. I phoned a vet and have an appointment today at 5pm. Hope all is well!

Thank you I will try some bait shops and will be transferring them now. I phoned a vet and have an appointment today at 5pm. Hope all is well!

Good. I wish you the best of luck!

One didnt make it. The trip to the vet was to much. The other I thought was dead and came back to life just as I was draining the water to burry him! I now have new fluids to my aquarium such as ammonia and hp down and added some aquarium salt and force fed him hoping for the best.

The other didnt make it either. Sad, I saw his tummy get slightly larger from the food but I don't think he digested in time. (Pellet blood worms. Didn't want frozen ones spoiling)

What exactly did you add to your tank? It looks like you said you added ammonia and a pH down chemical - is that right?

What exactly did you add to your tank? It looks like you said you added ammonia and a pH down chemical - is that right?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.... I think perhaps he didn't word it right. I would definitely not recommend adding all those things at once to the tank...

It was a water conditioner, lowers ammonia and dechlorinates. When I took them to the vet he said they were already done for so I tried my best alas it wasn't enough

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back