Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Gills moving forward? When to be concerned?

Hoagii

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently got my first axolotl about two weeks ago (please excuse my total n00bish questions!). From talking to her breeder, I believe she was about two months old when I got her. I've noticed over just the past few days that her gills have started to creep forward. I know this can indicate stress and it's starting to worry me.

The pics I took when I first brought her home show her gills almost flat back against her head. Now they stick out at ~90 degree angle, but don't curl forward. She still has a good appetite. Could this just be part of her growing up?

I tried to take some pictures, but she is so small that my crummy camera can't focus on her. Should I be concerned? I'm paranoid that my inexperience as an axie raiser will cause her untimely demise!! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Not uncommon for then to stick out that way. So, probably nothing to worry about.

However, are you monitoring your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate)? If they are good, and the water is cool enough, and you don't have, like, a power filter and strong current in the tank, then, nothing to worry about. (And if the parameters are off, or the water is warm, or you have a strong current in the tank, fix those things. She might still have her gills forward, but then it won't be something to worry about. :happy:)

Hoagii

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply! I just checked the water parameters and everything checks out! Guess I'm just worried for nothing. Good to know she's not stressed!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1