Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl seems distressed with barier

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
I separated my 55 gallon tank so that my male and female would stop producing eggs. However, my male who is along on his side seems distressed by this and is constantly swimming into and around the mesh screen :( It might be where because there is a thing crack/opening from the mesh being cut and it seems like he is always trying to push through it even though he can't fit.

Although he still looks outwardly healthy, he seems stressed. Should I remove the barrier or consider placing him in a tank by himself? :confused:

charleybambino

Reaction score
I think he knows she's there!...........if you don't want to breed then his own tank will be a better option for him

auntiejude

Reaction score
I think your axies is experiencing some type of separation anxiety! I know it goes against all the text books, but I formly believe that an axie who is used to company can get upset when removed and put on their own.

My big WT male got upset when I separated him from the others (all girls) so I had to get him a male to keep him company. He now has 3 tankmates and is perfectly happy.

They also notice when they are moved somewhere smaller - he may just be missing the space he used to have.

Ashlimarie83

Reaction score
I think your axies is experiencing some type of separation anxiety! I know it goes against all the text books, but I formly believe that an axie who is used to company can get upset when removed and put on their own.

My big WT male got upset when I separated him from the others (all girls) so I had to get him a male to keep him company. He now has 3 tankmates and is perfectly happy.

They also notice when they are moved somewhere smaller - he may just be missing the space he used to have.

True, I am likely either going to keep one of my juviniles I am raising or get another male as well. It's so cute sad sometimes.

Attachments

• 20150419_004944.jpg
    20150419_004944.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 227
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!