I have many little eggs that I've decided to rear. Thinking of my next steps?

Re: Larvae update!

1: listen to music while you do it. i prefer kesha
2: i remove solid waste with a turkey baster then i dump the whole container into a net
3: i have many jugs of dechlorinated tap ready
4: i fill the containers back up and add the babies again
5: i wipe away film once a week
6: i use bare bones setups

1. I usually either listen to music or turn on some documentary/Netflix. But I try not to find something too interesting or it'll take me forever!
2. Check
3. Check.
4. Check (after I wipe the containers out and wipe off the plants
5. Ohhh. That might be where my time is increasing! Hm, wthe bacteria build-up wouldn't cause issue then? I had been nervous about the slimy feeling.
6. I as well! Only the axolotl and a bit of pellagia.

1. I usually either listen to music or turn on some documentary/Netflix. But I try not to find something too interesting or it'll take me forever!
2. Check
3. Check.
4. Check (after I wipe the containers out and wipe off the plants
5. Ohhh. That might be where my time is increasing! Hm, wthe bacteria build-up wouldn't cause issue then? I had been nervous about the slimy feeling.
6. I as well! Only the axolotl and a bit of pellagia.
i find that the bacteria doesnt build up that quickly
im sure factors such as lighting and temperature play into this too

i find that the bacteria doesnt build up that quickly
im sure factors such as lighting and temperature play into this too

True. I try to keep my house at about 70. The water temp is usually 68 or a bit lower. Low lit area of course.

I'll just chalk it up to having to do so many containers I suppose..

True. I try to keep my house at about 70. The water temp is usually 68 or a bit lower. Low lit area of course.

I'll just chalk it up to having to do so many containers I suppose..
how many is that? i have 20 containers currently but i had 33 the other day

You guys sure like making work for yourselves. Axolotls can be raised communally but there may be some cannibalism or biting. I have 500+ axolotls over 2" in eight tanks, they take an hours maintenance every day, with a bigger couple hour clean once a week. Much of the biting is down to lack of food, if they get peckish they bite what ever is next to them, if you add food several times per day you you reduce this problem. Even in heavily stocked tanks you can get less than 10% missing limbs but this goes up a lot higher if you miss a feed.

You guys sure like making work for yourselves. Axolotls can be raised communally but there may be some cannibalism or biting. I have 500+ axolotls over 2" in eight tanks, they take an hours maintenance every day, with a bigger couple hour clean once a week. Much of the biting is down to lack of food, if they get peckish they bite what ever is next to them, if you add food several times per day you you reduce this problem. Even in heavily stocked tanks you can get less than 10% missing limbs but this goes up a lot higher if you miss a feed.

Yeah, I know I didn't need to go into extremes, but since this is my first hatch I wanted to make sure each axolotl had optimal condition for growing with no competition.

Some say that the competition is good and weeds out the week, but some of my axolotls were laid and hatched 4 days later than the others and I don't think it would've given them a fair chance. Next time I think I'm going to get one of the large under the bed storage containers and fit it with a small sponge filter and hopefully that'll cut down a lot on maintenance.
The only thing is I was hoping to use daphnia next time instead of bbs, but then I wouldn't be able to use a filter.

They don't need filters, if you want to use them with daphnia try kaldnes reactors, daphnia pass through them no probs.

Daphnia like sponge filters. Something to consider.

They don't need filters, if you want to use them with daphnia try kaldnes reactors, daphnia pass through them no probs.

I know they don't need filters. I was just considering it to see if it would possibly help reduce the number of needed water changes while they were in large tubs.

As for a kaldnes reactor, I've never heard of it before. I googled it, but didn't really get much for description of how it works or anything, mostly just instructions to make one?

Would you mind telling me more?

Also, rachel, what do you mean by daphnia "like" sponge filters? As in it is beneficial to them to keep inside of a separate daphnia culture bin, or they like to eat the sponge filter??:confused:

They do better with airflow. I keep at least an airstone, but usually a sponge filter in my daphnia culture tanks. They are filter feeders, so I think it helps keep particles suspended in the water column for them to eat. And a sponge filter is safe even for very small larvae.

I looked up Kaldness reactors, and they are a biological filter that works on the same physics as a sponge filter-air flow is used to pull water through the media. They use a special type of floating media that maximizes surface area and minimizes clogging and the need to clean. You would still need to manually remove debris from the tank.

I looked up Kaldness reactors, and they are a biological filter that works on the same physics as a sponge filter-air flow is used to pull water through the media. They use a special type of floating media that maximizes surface area and minimizes clogging and the need to clean. You would still need to manually remove debris from the tank.

Awesome, thanks for the info Rachel.

And yes of course I would still pick out the little poops, I was just hoping to reduce the drastic 100% water changes.

My babies are flourishing wonderfully. Have them up for sale in the US forum

I got some nice "professional" pictures taken of them by my sister in law Angela Jones.

Take a look! Axolotl Juveniles for sale! - Album on Imgur
Also, some bonus, not so awesome quality pics of my little GFP Copper I kept. :) He seems happy in his tank for now!

Attachments

• 20150520_151321.jpg
    20150520_151321.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 20150520_151330.jpg
    20150520_151330.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 20150520_151348.jpg
    20150520_151348.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 240
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back