Question: First Axolotl/tank - Advice?

Arcadian

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

So a few weeks ago I got my very first Axolotl (Spyro) and ever since then I've been rearranging the tank like mad trying to get it right.

Initially I found that the temperature was getting to around 22.5/23 degrees even in the coolest room of the house so I bought a cooler last week and have spent a few days setting it up. The temperature is now a constant 18 and Spyro could not be happy - bombing around the tank like mad and eating better! Well worth the (expensive) purchase. It's a weight off my mind too as I'm one of these people that is obsessed with animals being happy (my bearded dragon is spoiled beyond belief).

I just wanted to post a few photos of the tank as it is so far - it's a 60 litre at the moment but I do know that I'll need to upgrade as Spyro gets bigger which isn't a problem. Is there anything obvious to the experienced owners out there that maybe doesn't look quite right or maybe it's too overcrowded? I'm still new and not 100% sure what they love/hate.

Thanks!

25tkbko.jpg

2n70chu.jpg

omtc8.jpg

I am not super experienced but I have had my axie Hubble for about 6 months. Your aquarium is beautiful! You might need some new bigger hides for him when he gets bigger though. Other than that it looks great, at least to me:p Your axie is so cute by the way!

I just remembered that if you don't have a cover you probably should, axies can jump out of tanks, at least that is what I have read.

Thanks Emma! Hubble is a great name!

Yeah I'm all prepared for when he/she gets bigger :uhoh:

I do have a cover - I just took it off for the photos as I had been messing around with the layout. Now I have a cooler, I keep the top on more (not to mention it looks better)

Thanks Arcadian. Spyro Is a really cool name too:D It sounds like you are set up! You really did your research! One more thing, you probably know but it looked like you had a light for the aquarium, and axolotls are sensitive to light. But that is all that I could think of. I wish I had your tank:D It is so pretty:p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back