Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

African Dwarf frog questions

H

Helena

Hi, I am thinking of getting some African Dwarf frogs and I just have some questions before Getting some. I didn't realize that ADF need quite a small tank, so I bought a 10 gallon, which is quite big for them. I hope that a big tank is ok.

1. Can these Frogs eat frozen bloodworms? I have a whole bunch left over in my freezer and I need to use them up.

2. Can these frogs be mixed with any other fish species?

3. How high does their water level need to be at?

4. What water tempuratures are suitable for african dwarf frogs?

5. Do they need lot's of plants?

6. I heard that they love pots in their tank. Is this true?

Thanks!!!

-Helena :)

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I can answer a few of these. I think the bigger the tank, the better. It just goes them more space. They will likely eat frozen bloodworms. All animals are different though. These can be kept with fish. I'm not sure which species are suitable though. Plants aren't really necessary in my opinion, but the more natural the tank can be, the better. Avoid plastic plants though. They will rip the fros webbing on its feet. My African Clawed frogs love broken or notched pots. It's a lovely hiding area. I don't see why ADFs wouldn't like them too. It gives them a place to feel secure. Just make sure the edges are sanded down and smooth to prevent cuts.

esn

Reaction score
How many are you planning on getting? If you're getting a group of them, a ten gallon is perfect. I have 12 in a twenty long with 3 floating frogs and some cory cats.

These guys love frozen bloodworms to the extreme. They dig sinking wafers too, but I don't mean for them to have them. They're for the catfish. But frozen bloodworms and maybe little earthworm pellets (which some stores sell) are perfect.

These frogs can be mixed with tropical community fish. Tetras, platys, bettas, cory catfish, etc. All good choices. Make sure there is a heater in the water for them. The problem is, if you add fish, there is a higher risk to them. They're very sensitive. Make sure all fish are quarantined - I learned this the hard way - and don't skimp on water changes.

The water level should be all the way up, with a hood/lid/cloth over the top. They spend a lot of their time going up and down in the tank for air, so they mostly utilize the vertical aspects of tanks. I keep mine all the way full. That also makes it easier to maintain water quality.

I keep mine at about 78. 76-80 is good, I'd say 78 is perfect.

They like having plants, but it's not necessary. I keep them with a lot of java moss and java fern, as well as some amazon swords and such. They'll appreciate the extra hiding space. They like to hide in the plants.

They like any hides in their tank. Owners love pots, because they range from 50 cents to a dollar for one. Give them a few of those, and they'll be super happy.

H

Helena

thanks for all your help!!

I have some plastic plants, but people always say to not use them because these can be a little pokey for them. I really don't feel like buying some new less pokey ones, so is it ok if i dont have any plants at all? I do have a log that i am going to put under-water, and the log is twisted in a way that acts as a cave; the perfect hiding place.i will also provide some pots.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I keep my colony of eight ADF`s with a breeding pair of angel fish, guppies, khoolie loach, striped zebra botia and a red tailed black shark. The fish generally ignore the frogs as they are too big to be seen as a food source. You should be aware that certain fish are more aggressive than others and could pose a potential threat, I would particularly avoid cichlid species who can become quite territorial(yes I know angels are new world cichlids, they are a possible exception as mine are chilled out), for safer species guppies and endlers would be a good choice, with coryadoras/khoolie loach as good bottom feeding tank mates. You have to be aware that fish will generally beat the ADF to the food so you have to make sure the frogs don`t starve.

H

Helena

oh yeah, and do I have to declorinate the water before adding the frogs to the tank?

or should I just let it sit for 24 hours?

esn

Reaction score
The plants are up to your discretion. I use a plastic plant that may be seen as "poky", but it works fine in my tank. As for water, I don't trust it unless it's sat out for 48 hours. The best way is to just invest 3 dollars or so and get the dechlorinator.

H

Helena

Oh yes and i was also wondering if there is anything that you can feed african dwarf frogs either then bloodworms and pellets. I wanted to give them a variety of foods.

Elijepic

Reaction score
I moved 2 ADF from a 10g to a 1g and I think they may like it better just because they know there surroundings.
752087a1f4458050bd0931b94a260043.jpg
7889f51309f13077abcd95e97e39d05e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pugnator

Reaction score
1. Can these Frogs eat frozen bloodworms? I have a whole bunch left over in my freezer and I need to use them up.
Yes, you can but you should not overfeed them because they love bloodworm and will eat it a lot. If they become too fat they will have health hissue. So, yes, totally but with moderation. Of course they should be feeded also with other things and not only with Bloodworm.
2. Can these frogs be mixed with any other fish species?
No, absolutely NO. They are shy and bad hunter so they will have an huge disadvantage on getting food and they will become stressed a lot by presence of other species of amphybian and fishes . There is also some illness which have no effect on fishes but are letal to amphibian and vice versa so you MUST NOT mix different species. Here also some mixing disaster Caudata Culture Articles - Species Mixing Disasters .

4. What water tempuratures are suitable for african dwarf frogs?
African dwarf frog are more delicate than Xenopus and the temperature should be around 24-25°C. I heard that some had their frog dying on lower temperature.
5. Do they need lot's of plants?
Not necessarely, best plant are the one who offer them an hiding.
6. I heard that they love pots in their tank. Is this true?
they love hiding because they are a lot shy and they love go on the bottom. if the Pot can be used also as hiding they should like it but

Pugnator

Reaction score
I moved 2 ADF from a 10g to a 1g and I think they may like it better just because they know there surroundings.
It is too small and they are too few on my opinion. You should at least have more then 3, they are social. 5 frog need 30 litres (7.9252 Gallon more or less) 12 frogs need 100 litres (they should be more or less 26.4172 Gallon) so you can regulate how much water they need using that.
Oh yes and i was also wondering if there is anything that you can feed african dwarf frogs either then bloodworms and pellets. I wanted to give them a variety of foods.
Technically they live and breed also if you feed them only with bloodworm but it isn't suggested. So you can use:
Bloodworm (Alive or frozen)
Cyclops (alive or frozen)
Daphnia (Alive or frozen)
brine shrimp (Alive or frozen)
Various acquatic insect and larvae of that.
chopped Earthworm (or very very little species) long less then 1 cm
Tubifex (Tubifex are very fat so they should be given very rarely, Sometime they can even carry disease and illness, so I don't suggest you to use it)
Little fish smaller then their mouth (Idk why you should waste fish frozening it. Give to them only slow fish or frozen fish or dead by very little time fish. )
Chopped therina boyeri.
They could get used to eat Dry fish feed but they will not like it very much and it is not nutritious so it is useless.

Elijepic

Reaction score
They're in 10g now, you own pugs?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!