Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red leg?

redfoxlove

Reaction score
Hi, I have had two juvenile albino axolotls for about 2 months now. They are housed in a 55, with sand substrate and a couple plants. The water parameters are currently pH: 7.2 ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 nitrate:0. The tank was fully running and established over a month before they were added to the tank. They currently eat NLS pellets exclusively.

So here is the issue: last night I noticed one of my axies had pink (like an injury or irritation) on his hind foot. I was sad, but didn't think terribly much of it, because the axies sometimes snap at each other while eating.
This morning, however, he has another foot showing the same symptoms and now I'm getting very nervous thinking it might be the dreaded "red leg". I keep the tank impeccably clean and they have lots of water and space.

He has no other symptoms, behaviorally or physically. He looks good as ever other than his toes and he is just as active and always eats like a champ. Any help or advice would be marvelous. I can answer any other questions to help narrow things down. Thanks so much everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20170205_101317160_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170205_101317160_HDR.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20170205_101358182.jpg
    IMG_20170205_101358182.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 263

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Hi, I have had two juvenile albino axolotls for about 2 months now. They are housed in a 55, with sand substrate and a couple plants. The water parameters are currently pH: 7.2 ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 nitrate:0. The tank was fully running and established over a month before they were added to the tank. They currently eat NLS pellets exclusively.

So here is the issue: last night I noticed one of my axies had pink (like an injury or irritation) on his hind foot. I was sad, but didn't think terribly much of it, because the axies sometimes snap at each other while eating.
This morning, however, he has another foot showing the same symptoms and now I'm getting very nervous thinking it might be the dreaded "red leg". I keep the tank impeccably clean and they have lots of water and space.

He has no other symptoms, behaviorally or physically. He looks good as ever other than his toes and he is just as active and always eats like a champ. Any help or advice would be marvelous. I can answer any other questions to help narrow things down. Thanks so much everyone.

Sorry your tank is not cycled unless you have some nitrate. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 to 30 ppb.

redfoxlove

Reaction score
Sorry your tank is not cycled unless you have some nitrate. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 to 30 ppb.
On this matter, I will disagree, as the tank has been running with water in it since late October. I put in 10 feeder fish in mid November (removed before the axies arrived). And it's been running with the axolotls since early December. It is planted and I have only done one water change since then. I intended it to be as low maintenance as possible, so I designed it that way
However, I do only test with the API kit, so it doesn't detect minuscule nitrates. It's either yellow or not. And it tests in ppm, so 10 ppb would read as 0. But I do thank you for your concern for them!

emdalliance

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not the substrate you're using? It's sharp, I've known axolotls toes to be rubbed raw and rubbed to the bone. You need super fine sand or bare bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfoxlove

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not the substrate you're using? It's sharp, I've known axolotls toes to be rubbed raw and rubbed to the bone. You need super fine sand or bare bottom.
I was starting to wonder that myself....I mean, the substrate definitely felt okay to me, but I am not an axolotl. Thanks for the input, I'll look into getting it switched out asap.

Wysper

Reaction score
That does look like a substrate used by someone else recently that turned out to be crushed obsidian. Quite sharp and damaging.

I would suggest bare bottom of a very fine sand.

Their axolotl had the toes rubbed raw to the bone from the substrate.

redfoxlove

Reaction score
*sigh* that's what I get for spending $40 on aquarium sand. haha. I'll find something new, I guess. Are there any black aquarium sands that are safer? The black looks cleaner and is a good contrast to the albino. Either way, I'll have the sand switched out by the weekend. Thanks for the help everyone! I'm way bummed that the sand was hurting them, but so relieved it's not any serious infection/illness and that it can be fixed with time.

Wysper

Reaction score
Anything that a nylon can run over and not be snagged would be safe. I don't use sand so I can't comment on if there is one suggested.

However, there are a few options.

- Barebottom
- Slate tile
- Large stones (to large to swallow)

I have seen some people on facebook using pvc plastic shower mats for the bottom of their tank and have seriously looked into buying some for myself.

91CTB8B%2BSIL._SL1500_.jpg

emdalliance

Reaction score
I've never seen black sand, so I'm afraid unless you get something like above, you're going to have to have different coloured sand :) white is nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!