Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl refusing food, losing weight

KimYoshiko

Reaction score
I have seen some good advice in other threads but was hoping to get some more specific help.

I have a five-year-old leucistic male who has increasingly been refusing food for about nine months. Previously, his diet consisted of Hikari Carnivore Sinking Pellets, with frozen bloodworms as an occasional treat. Currently, he is refusing (or is unable?) to eat almost all foods offered.

In addition to the Hikari pellets, I also tried feeding axolotl pellets from Ed's Fly Meat, which he ate maybe once and now ignores. I have also tried worms in every way I can think of: live, chopped, blanched, soaked, Canadian and European nightcrawlers; these sometimes get sucked up but then are spit back out. I have left live worms in the tank overnight, but he won't touch them (and possibly is afraid of them). On the advice of another forum, I tried feeding raw chopped shrimp, which he did eat with enthusiasm for several months before again losing interest. He will still go for bloodworms, but the last time I fed them to him, he seemed to have difficulty swallowing them?

About six months ago, I did fridge him, hoping he'd pass a blockage or something. He was in there for a week; on the second day the water in his tub turned neon green and I was not sure if that was the result of some kind of infection or from him possibly eating part of his moss balls? When I returned him to the tank, his appetite did seem to pick up, but over time started dropping again.

About one and a half months ago, I fridged him for two and a half weeks, during which time he did eat some shrimp in the fridge and successfully pooped. I've since returned him to his tank, but his appetite hasn't come back, and he's noticeably lost weight. I have seen him swallow shrimp only to spit it back up three or four days later, partially digested. I have looked inside his mouth when he does this and can't see anything blocking his throat, and he has pooped so I don't think there is a blockage further down?

Today I tried force-feeding him according to the sticky post, but my fiance and I could not get his mouth open and we were afraid of hurting him, so I returned him to the tank without having fed him anything.

During all this time, his behavior actually has not changed and he has not been showing other signs of stress. He is not any more or less energetic than previous. He still comes to the front of the tank when people come into the room. He has always swum around a lot for an axolotl from what I understand?

Tank parameters are ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrate ~5-10ppm. Temperature is around 66-68 F. I don't know the pH but I have never done anything to alter it, and we have been in the same location with the same water source for about two years. The only other things in the tank are a sponge filter, PVC pipes for hides, sand, and moss balls. (As an aside, I did have Java moss in there three years ago but he was eating it.)

Lastly...when he was much younger (about 1-2), I know that I did not keep him in the best conditions (we did not have A/C at that time and I did my best with fans and bottles, but I know that the tank temperatures got above 70 at some points). Could this be having an impact on him now? :/ Is there a way to know when/if he has definitely deteriorated to the point of suffering? It is upsetting to see him suck up food and then appear unable to swallow it, and also upsetting when he ignores it even when it's wiggled in front of his face.

This has been going on for so long and I have tried so many things that I am not sure there is anything else to be suggested, but if you've read this far thank you and if there is anything else you can suggest thank you again in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20170217_222446133.jpg
    IMG_20170217_222446133.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 375
Reaction score
With how diligent you have been with all the home remedies, IMO the only thing left to try is to find an exotic vet. Perhaps the poor little guy picked up parasites (although I am not sure how that would have happened...)?

In the mean time, I would get a PH test kit. My axolotls tend to act strange when the PH is <7. Does your water treatment plant use chloramines instead of chlorine? If it does, does your water conditioner handle chloramines?

I hope you get your little axolotl healthy again!

KimYoshiko

Reaction score
I dug out my pH kit and it came back as 7.5-8-ish? But the kit is on the verge of expiring so I will try to pick up a new one and see if it comes back the same. My water plant does use chloramines and I treat the water accordingly.

There is a vet that I believe sees amphibians in my city so I am probably headed there next. Thank you for the well-wishes :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1