Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Injured & Sick Ambystoma maculatum

axolotl27

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a spotted salamander. I got him about a month ago, and he is extremely injured. He has a broken jaw in 4 places (three on top and one on bottom), exposed bone over all the jaw, and throws up the food I give him. We have no idea how he broke his jaw, and although we thought he may have broken it in transit, we didn't see any evidence of this. Currently, he is eating Fluker's Repta Boost, but again, he can't keep it down. He also gets a supplement of calcium (a little extra for bone regrowth). However, he has not improved in the last week and a half, and he also hasn't regenerated any bone or skin of any kind, and in addition, he is bleeding again. He also mysteriously severed a toe on a back foot, this is also bleeding. Any information helps.

I was also wondering how he got these injuries. His tank, as far as I know, is salamander-proof.

Thanks,
Carly

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
This animal needs veterinary care with such serious injuries.

It is possible that the cause of the missing toe is due to some infection, but this really does need to be checked .

Please do keep us posted on how it goes.

axolotl27

Reaction score
We scheduled our salamander an appointment at a local exotic pet veterinarian. He turned out to have a cancer-like infection, and euthanasia was the only option. Thank you, Julia, for your advice. I don't believe we will be getting another spotted salamander. After hours of force-feeding Hugo paste, I don't think I would be able to handle another one.

Thanks,
Carly

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Please don't let this experience put you off.
I keep A.maculatum and they are beautiful animals, however I rarely see them :) Breeding season, while they are aquatic is really the only time.
How about you consider something a little more visual, like Ambystom tigrinum ?
If you do decide to try again, do give all the housing a really good clean.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!