Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please please please help!

Bethjames14

Reaction score
I would be ever so greatful for any help that anyone could offer! I got an axolotl last Friday, so I've nearly had him a week! He used to eat bloodworms in the place I got him but I'm
Now feeling him earth worms, only small one a day! Ever since I seen him in the shop his gills were slightly curled forward however I didn't know that this was a sign of stress as this is the first time I've owned an axolotl. He has only had one poo since I've had him and that was a couple of days ago! The water temperature is around 20-21 degrees and is perfect, no ammonia, no nitrates, ph of 7.2-7.4! He's got three hides in his tank and live plants! However his back legs have been floating and I have no idea what to do, also how often should they poo? I'm so upset because as soon as I get an animal I immediately get attached and do everything I can for them! I'm not sure how old he is, I believe between 5-7 months, I sort of reduced him as I didn't like how he was kept in the pet shop as there was lots of water movement and water wasn't very clean but now his water is completely still as I have a spray bark that goes on to a stone on top of the pot. He's got sand on the bottom of his tank that I've sived a million times to get anything that could possibly get stuck, out not is it the think sand it's very very fine. I really really would appreciate any help with 1) why his legs are floating? 2)how often should that poo? 3) how many small earthworms should I feed him? 4) if there's anything I can do to make him as happy as he possibly can? 5) whether he can have naturally curled forward gills?

I hope I haven't missed any information out, and as I said I will be so so so thankful for any help and sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm distraught over what to do and I can't bare the thought of him in pain☹️
Thank you again x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!