Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I be concerned?

Mikaela23

Reaction score
I brought my axolotl home from the pet store a couple of weeks ago. I noticed this little white bump on his side but didn't think too much of it. Now I'm realizing it could be something worth checking about. I've attached a photo of it. His slime coat is fine, and the bump doesn't look like cotton - more like a hard raised bump under the skin.

It doesn't look like it affects him at all - he's eating normally and is very active during the evening. Any ideas what it could be?

Attachments

• 20180109_224306.jpg
    20180109_224306.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 256

Eternie

Reaction score
Typically if its a bulge behind the leg such as the one your axolotl has, that just means that it is a male. Males develop bulges behind their back legs when they are maturing or are adults, and females won't develop the bulge. So it is perfectly normal :)

Mikaela23

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I'm more concerned about the small little bump between the front and the back legs. Its about halfway between - pretty hard to see with the photo I posted. He's pretty active so hard to get a good picture sometimes. Is this what you were referring to?

Eternie

Reaction score
Oh! Haha, I totally did not see that. I thought you were referring to the bump behind his leg. I have no idea, I would say since its not affecting him he should be okay. If you are concerned I will link a website that lists Axolotl illnesses and see if it says anything there, I am so sorry for the confusion, haha.

Axolotls - Health & Diseases

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!