Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Siren Tail Falling Off???

blakewordsmith

Reaction score
Hi, my greater siren Nesace was doing just fine but today I was watching her swim around and I saw what looks like the tip of her tail is falling off?

She's the only one I have, no other creatures in the tank. I keep it well filtered and clean. I've had her for almost three years, but I did just recently move her to a new location in the house (a month ago?). That said, there have been no changes in her behavior, so I'm not sure what's up or what I should do.

PICTURE LINK

Tarabull

Reaction score
Could she have freaked out a bit by the move and injured it? Does she have any new decor? If the move was a new tank that could be it. If there is no fungus and it isn't a huge part of her tail she should be fine because it will grow back. Keep the water clean and a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't get fungus. One time my lesser siren got to excited about a worm next to its tail and bit the tip of his own tail off. It grew back just fine. Good thing he's cute, because he isn't winning any awards for being smart.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It it worsens you can try an antibiotic ointment but like Tara said unless it develops fungus (or gets worse) just let it heal on its own. See my sig for health articles under "care articles."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!