Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How to tell if a salamander is eating?

Kofi Kobra

Reaction score
Ay, I recently got a spotted salamander and I was curious to how to know for sure if it eats? I have worms and crickets also living in the tank which is 15 gal. Iv'e tried cutting some worms and putting it near it but it will not eat while I'm there. I know these salamanders can be pretty shy, and I have had it for at least 2 weeks so I would really just like to be sure. I've purchased a small saucer that is made out of the stuff flower pots are made out of and thought to put some cut worms or something in there and check if one is missing the next day but was unsure if that kind of saucer would be ok or not for the salamander. It could also be taking its time to get used to the new place. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great thanks!

Herpin Man

Reaction score
If you are regularly dumping in live prey, and the enclosure isn't being over run with the prey items, the salamander is probably eating.
If it is remaining plump or gaining weight, the salamander is probably eating.
If you are seeing salamander poop, the salamander is probably eating.

Just keep feeding it, give it lots of hiding places, keep it cool and moist, and leave it alone.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Just curious, is your salamander wild caught? That could affect his eating preferences as well, I know my tiger salamander from Colorado didn’t run into a lot of earthworms when he was living in the wild and now he still refuses to touch them unless he hasn’t eaten in over a week. What size crickets do you feed? Sometimes if the crickets are too big, the salamander won’t be able to eat them, and large crickets can also bite the salamander.

coleonyx

Reaction score
If you have tunnels where the entrance is visible as you look into the tank from the glass front (so you can see down it) you'll have a better chance of seeing them eat as they will feel secure. I use the long cork bark tubes cut in half lengthways and partially buried, in the past when I kept more salamanders and newts I used regular hides but I prefer this way as you can view them without any disturbance.

I have an A. Opacum which has eaten in front of me from day one, usually in her hide which I can see right into and some of the time she can be found waiting for bugs with her head at the entrance, if I drop a cricket in front of her she usually snatches it and will feed from tongs. I never see her outside the burrow but I know she has a wander at night (poo in the morning!).

At the end of the day if it is in good shape and is not underweight then all is good, they're lovely salamanders. Sometimes the nicest slimy critters aren't the ones that rip worms from your fingers!

Kofi Kobra

Reaction score
Ok cool! thanks for the suggestions! I have a total of 8 crickets in the tank with it and i still count 8 after a bit of time while they have been in there. Maybe I should take some out if it feels there is not enough space? or maybe I should anyways since it is has not been eating them? might not like to eat them? there are also worms in the tank.

Kofi Kobra

Reaction score
Yes the salamander is wild caught, and the crickets are ones i got from the pet store and most are maybe a half inch long.

Kofi Kobra

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion and info! I have two pictures of the salamander in an album on this site, It wouldn't let me upload them in reply on this thread

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!