Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axolotl is swimming around with poop hanging off her

Rxoc

Reaction score
So my little axolotl is swimming around with poop sticking out her bum, I think she is having a hard time/ constipated. What should I do? I also noticed there was some sand in it so I don’t know if she is pooping out sand and that means I should switch out to maybe an even finer sand orrr if the sand just got stuck in her poop when she was moving around

Ekmanor

Reaction score
Hey there! Sand is a big no no for axolotls, they can very easily get impacted from it. I suggest either large rocks/gravel (the gravel should be big enough so the axolotl can’t fit it in their mouth.) Or just a bare bottom no substrate tank. You can use the search function on this forum for solutions on dealing with impaction/constipation. I have no experience with either but I am sure someone on here can help. I also suggest going to http://www.axolotl.org it is a wonderful site for both beginners and experts. Good luck!

NidiaNz

Reaction score
Hi, try tubbing her in cold decholorinated water and see if that helps, sand is perfectly safe for lotls that are over 5 inches long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!